RCBO and RCCB question....??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just a quick one...

Whats the Difference between an RCBO and an RCCB ?

Just bn looking at a shower install, an it has an RCCB apparently...
Would be nice to know what the difference is.

Cheers

MA

Sponsored Links
An RCCB is (in practical terms) another name for an RCD. So is ELCB. These days they are all current operated.

You know what an MCB is?

Well, an RCBO is a single device which combines the functions of an MCB (overcurrent and short-circuit protection) and an RCD (Earth leakage protection).

The better makers offer a range of them, so you can have a B32 30mA RCBO for example for your socket circuits, or a B40 30mA for your shower. As far as I know, MEM make the widest range possible, because of the way they are assembled. You can order a D6 100mA, if you want.

They can generally be fitted into a Consumer Unit in place of an MCB. Some are the same width, others are wider and may take up two spaces. this depends on the brand and model.

In domestic consumer units, they will generally cut one pole only (the Phase conductor) although two-pole RCBOs are available to cut Phase and Neutral.

They tend to be quite expensive. However in the respect that, in the event of an earth leakage, they will cut power only to the affected circuit without inconveniencing users on other circuits, they are superior to a split-load arrangement or an installation protected by a single RCD, because either of these will cut power to the other circuits. Quite apart from the inconvenience, this makes them valuable in commercial and industrial environments, because it prevents you losing production on those other circuits. This can save you a lot of money.

I think they're great ;)

Hay JohnD, Thanks, I know what an MCB is, and an RCBO, i just never heard of a RCCB....

Im all in favour of fitting RCBO protection to shower units... saves replacing a Stanard CU.

Basicaly in the past ive just split the Tails at entry to CU, tails form Jct box to CU and Tails from Jct box to seperate RCBO housing.... works a treat....

Please dont shout at me if im wrong....lol..

Cheers

MA

Sponsored Links
So why do the IEE put a definition of RCD in the regs?

And no mention of RCCB anywhere. Contradiction??

securespark said:
So why do the IEE put a definition of RCD in the regs?

And no mention of RCCB anywhere. Contradiction??

Not really. RCD is the generic term, from which derive a variety of others. An RCCB is different from an SRCD, for instance, but they're both devices which operate on 'residual current'.

Ok, so can someone explain.....

Is an RCCB protected CU ok to be used in the same way as an RCBO protected unit for when installing a new shower?

A Residual Current Circuit Breaker provides only residual current protection - for supplementary protection against direct contact with live parts this must have a residual current rating of 30mA or less. If it supplies a Miniature Circuit Breaker, correctly rated to provide overcurrent protection for the circuit concerned, then you have all the protection you need.

A Residual Current circuit Breaker with Overload protection does both jobs.

Either method is acceptable provided that the ratings of all the equipment are adequate for the increased load (and earthing and bonding are also adequate).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back