Replacing ceiling rose with spotlight bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a 3 halogen bulb spotlight bar and the instructions say to fix each of the wires from my supply into the live, neutral & earth connectors on the spotlight fitting, however when I have removed my old ceiling rose I have 3 cables coming from the ceiling each with one of each (live, neutral & earth) wire with one of the black wires covered in a red sleeve (the switch?) How do I wire all of these cables into the single connector on the new spotlight. Also having removed the old ceiling rose none of my lights on the same fuse work!! Have I blown something? The curcuit breaker is still on. HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Don't panic

See

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553

The three red wires need to be joined together in a separate terminal block. which you will have to supply if the fitting only has three.

Of the three reds.. One is feed from the fuse, one is feed to other lamps ( hence they don't work ) and one is down to the switch.

The two black wires go to the neutral of the new fitting. One is neutral from fuse and one is neutral to other lights.

The black wire with sleeve goes to the live of the fitting ( this the switched live coming back from the switch.

All the three earths MUST be joined together and connected the the earth of the fitting.

Thanks for that! Forgot to mention that the light is controlled by two switches (as its on the top of the stairs) but there is only one sleeved wire. Does this change what you have said? Also, you mention a separate terminal block for the three red wires - obviously the three wires go into one side of the terminal block, but does a single wire have to come out of the other side into one of the points on the light fitting? All of this and the instructions said 'as long as you can change a plug, you can fit these lights!!!' Oh well! Thanks again

lloydg said:
Thanks for that! Forgot to mention that the light is controlled by two switches (as its on the top of the stairs) but there is only one sleeved wire. Does this change what you have said?

No as the switch wiring is between the switches and the black woth sleeve will be the only wire from the switches.

Also, you mention a separate terminal block for the three red wires - obviously the three wires go into one side of the terminal block,

Only the three reds go int othis block. Nothing else.

You can put two in one side and one in the other if that makes it easier to wire.

but does a single wire have to come out of the other side into one of the points on the light fitting?

NO the fitting only has the neutral from the two blacks, the switchd live from the black with sleeve and the earth.

All of this and the instructions said 'as long as you can change a plug, you can fit these lights!!!' Oh well! Thanks again

Thats a sales gimmick. They should supply clear diagrams and include that extra necessary terminal block.

Sponsored Links
Three more questions...... 1. What amp terminal block should I use (the circuit breaker says 6A for my lights). 2. How do I extend the wires coming from the ceiling as the existing ones are not long enough to allow me to connect them to the new fitting. 3. Can I do something temporarily to get the rest of my lights working?

lloydg said:
Three more questions...... 1. What amp terminal block should I use (the circuit breaker says 6A for my lights). 2. How do I extend the wires coming from the ceiling as the existing ones are not long enough to allow me to connect them to the new fitting. 3. Can I do something temporarily to get the rest of my lights working?

[1] 10 amp is probably the best.

[2] use a 4 way terminal block to terminate and connect the cables. Then run a length of new cable from that to the lamp fitting.

[3] Using a 4 way terminal block

connect all earth wires together. terminal 1

put the black with sleeve into terminal 2 by itself

put the other blacks together into terminal 3

put all the reds together into terminal 4

Other (easier) option, chnage the flex from the rose to a 3 core, fix new light to ceiling, spacing it off, and connect flex to new light.

breezer said:
Other (easier) option, chnage the flex from the rose to a 3 core, fix new light to ceiling, spacing it off, and connect flex to new light.

That is by far the best way. But too simple....

But has the great advantage that when cost of replacing the halogens becomes too much then putting back the simple hanging lamps is so simple.

Got a similar problem to original poster. I am replacing a ceiling rose with a new modern type spot light bar. Made not of cables coming out where I have x2 black neutrals, x3 red loop ins, x1 Black live switch and earths.

Problem is that terminal present in new light fitting have only two neutral and x2 live.

I had earthed the earths, put the two neutrals in the relevant terminal holes and then put all the x3 loops in one live and the switch in the other live terminal hole. Light is just on constantly regardless of position of switch. Is there any way I can get this working without the previously suggested extra terminal block?

Thanks in advance.

Er no not really. The terminal strips are about 10p and you can get them from any diy shed / surplus store.

From what you have described, your neutral and switched live are correct. You need to take the 3 red wires out of the light fitting and connect them in a terminal block on their own, then it should work. Check out the wiki, there will be diagrams to help you.

Er no not really. The terminal strips are about 10p and you can get them from any diy shed / surplus store.

From what you have described, your neutral and switched live are correct. You need to take the 3 red wires out of the light fitting and connect them in a terminal block on their own, then it should work. Check out the wiki, there will be diagrams to help you.

Cheers fella

Sorry please ignore this post was meant to be a new topic.

Apologies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back