Tiling onto plaster ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am just embarking on a bathroom project which has me feeling out of me depth - too much complex tiling for my taste!

Question of the hour as I rectify the duff verticals of the non-tiled existing walls is: can I tile directly onto the plaster I want to use to realign everything ?

Something in the back of my memory tells me that cement onto plaster is a no-no ...

Best, VM

Sponsored Links
Great stuff, dint wanna go and buy a big bag of new stuff when I got so many other unfiinshed bags kicking round!

Ta
Vin

Ok now you've lost me. So many unfinished bags of what? Just to be on the safe side, what is it exactly that you are intending to do?

Sponsored Links
That's why I wanted to make sure - but I suppose if he does, it doesn't matter what with him being French and all. ;)

This could be the French equivalent of keeping spinning plates on sticks.. :LOL: :LOL: :rolleyes:

Sacre bleu, damn ze DIY forum...... :)

Cor, you guys don't half get carried away...

No, I'm not tiling onto WET plaster. I just wanna use up some bags of plaster or whatever compound I have laying around, to refill or flatten out the previous blokes' non straight walls.

Then using proper tiling compound to lay the tiles, proper like. And wanting to make sure that it actually sticks to the wall.

And don't fall off in 6 months time... :confused:

Claro ? Si ? Allez !

Yep you can tile onto plaster but its best to prime the wall first with a watered down pva solution so the adhesive bonds properly.

Oh well it must be right then. :rolleyes: PVAing walls around a shower is a no no. It's more of an issue with smaller tiles I grant you, but the basic idea is that pva can be reactivated enough when wet to release it's bond. It creates a barrier to which the tile adhesive adheres to instead of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back