Baxi solo 2 40pf issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I hope someone here can shed some light on a problem i'm having with the above mentioned heating boiler.

The symptoms

Fan runs, pilot light ignites and stays lit, but the burner randomly refuses to light.

unless you have a look through the inspection window in the front cover, you'd say it was running pefrectly save for the radiators being cold to the touch.

Sometimes the boiler sounds noisier in operation than others, with a pronounced whistle

when running, the system does seem ok and the flame burns nice and blue.

On a possibly related note, the main heating pump sounds like it's noisy too, it's a Gundfoss (sp?) pump and it's set on speed 3. The house is only a small/medium semi and the rotational noise is getting on pip a little.

Does the pump NEED to run at that speed?

I hope someone on here might be able to give some clues as to what to expect, I have a British Gas service engineer coming on weds to have a look, but to be fore warned is to be forearmed they say.

regards and thank in advance

Sponsored Links
the whistling could be the combustion cover of flue isn't sealed adequately. It's not recommended to try and use a room sealed appliance if it isn't sealed properly.

good news....................no snow forecast for the weekend in the uk.

im2scared2touch said:
Any thoughts on the lighting issues an pump speed?

if the flue isn't correctly sealed or the combustion case cover isn't on properly it can give rise to issues with the differential air pressure switch and cause lighting up problems. the pump speed depends on the size/load of the system.
i've not had a great deal of experience with this model as they aren't as widespread in the NE. from some of the past threads i notice there are people who can advise you better than i. so what i've said is only a guideline.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments so far, it's been a great help.

The boilers are very common here, as they were fitted as part of the estate's standard build.......(Redrow + truck load of boilers etc) so all the houses have them.

Size is about normal really.

average size semi, 2 levels,
8 radiators of which

1 is about 6ft long and single (main lounge)
1 x 1.5ft in main lounge (double)
3 x 3ftish bedroom radiators (single)
1 x 3ft ish in kitchen (double)
1 x 1.5ft in bathroom (double)
1 x 1.5ft in downstairs WC (single)

Back to the lighting concern, would an incorrectly sealed combustion chamber not give out smells/smoke etc and have en effect on the flame colour?

this stuff is quite interesting as you get into it.

I'm not an expert on anything. If the pilot lights ok I wouldn;t have thought a slight case leak woould affect the main burner much. Could be the ilot size/position is wrong. Or of course it could be the gas valve sticking...etc.
Change the pump they're cheap enough. I just took one out which was spinning away well enough, but the impeller was completely blocked with sludgy slime. Which points to other problems of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back