DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

European to UK plug rewiring?

This topic originated from the How to page called Wiring a plug
Click here to return to the page called Wiring a plug.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
LondonLiverpoolFan

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote

My missus' GHD straighteners do not power on when she plugs them in. By pushing the flex towards the plug they do start working. I'll be damned if I'm going to stand there each morning and hold this while she does her hair! I took the uk plug apart to find that there is a molded European plug concealed beneath it. Before I go out and spend 120 on a new set of straighteners can anyone advise me on how easy it would be to cut the European plug off, strip back the wires and rewire it to a UK plug? Anything I should look out for? I've wired a uk plug before but that's about it!

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
MasterAbacus

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Buy a Euro to UK plug adaptor..... or better still get her to buy one..... Think youll find em at most DIY sheds, or maybe even Argos....
 Alert Moderators
LondonLiverpoolFan

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote

That won't work as it's the actual flex that is part of the european molded plug that is faulty. By pushing this back towards the plug the connection works. If I just plug it into an adaptor I'll still have the same issue.

If I cut the plug off the cable and switch plugs to a uk one this should (?) hopefully fix it.
 Alert Moderators
jj4091

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by a european plug under the uk one, but if the straightners run on 230-240Vac then you will be ok to fit a normal fused 3-pin plug, would think you will probably need a 3A fuse fitting instead of the usual 13A though.
 Alert Moderators
MasterAbacus

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote

ah ok, well cut it off, and wire it up to a UK plug.... tell us what colour cable you have inside the flex first.....

PS, were gonna stuff UTD on Saturday icon_wink.gif.....
 Alert Moderators
LondonLiverpoolFan

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote

Just found this post on another site. I have no idea if he's being honest or not? What do you lot think?

Quote:
it isnt as simple as checkin the flex people ..the mains lead is only 2 core 0.75mm thick ..now what happens is with all the flexin that goes on the wires inside break ..sometimes they blow thru the outer black flex thus making it totally visible sometimes the wires just break inside so you dont see the problem straight away trust me im an electrician and ive been repairing ghds for about three months ..what i do with the lead problems is i take the ghds apart and i have my own style lead eventually over a few years this could happen again as the lead is small you cannot put a thicker lead on them as this makes the ghds heavy and your arm WILL start to ache ..when people wrap the lead round the ghds ,this is the problem that causes the wires to snap ..now ghd will now send you a replacement lead it takes about a month you have to pay a fortune ..
i normally fix these problems for about 20 plus 5 delivery and within 5 days not 1 month like ghd i replace the old lead with my own new lead ..for more info contact me on ***************************** thanks tony

Ta again

P.S I feckin hope so!
 Alert Moderators
MasterAbacus

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote

ok, wire up a new euro plug to it, then plug that into the adaptor....

Both available online / DIY shed etc....

p.s.... 3.0 sounds about right to me..... YNWA....
 Alert Moderators
sm1thson

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote

as for the other info you found, GHD's cables normally brake at the ghd end not the plug end (from users wrapping the cable tightly round them aswell as them getting tangled during use-worse on the first ones without a detangler) your lucky its at the plug end, try a new plug first!
 Alert Moderators
FredFlintstone

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:29 pm Reply with quote

And make sure she never, ever, leaves them unattended when plugged in - GHD's have a habit of bursting into flames.

As for the fault, the most obvious points of failure from your description is a loose connection in the two pin plug of a dodgy connection between the two pin plug and the three pin adapter.
 Alert Moderators
LondonLiverpoolFan

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote

The uk plug they came with has one screw that holds the European plug in place. They were bought fro Jason Shankey online (who are supposedly a big UK mail order haircare company)

This is a (grainy) image of the plug that I've found on the net.

The European plug, slots/plugs into the uk one from the bottom....

This make any difference? I'm pretty sure the problem is where the flex joins the European plug (crudely highlighted!) rather than where the European plug joins the uk one.

Last edited by LondonLiverpoolFan on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 5 times in total
 Alert Moderators
tim west

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote

just be aware when modifying any equipment that you take away any approval of manufacture it once had, If in the future the appliance is found to have been the cause of a fire and the modification is found you may find that your home insurance may not cover you. Generally it's best in the long run to only purchase equipment with the relevant approval stickers on them such as BSI or CEE approval for use in the UK.
 Alert Moderators
sm1thson

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote

hmm, its important to be cautious, and definately dont chop the plug off anything in warranty because it will invalidate it, but i cant believe there has been an instance of an insurance company (in this country) not paying out because a faulty appliance had a DIY plug on it! plugs dont come under part p and changing them doesnt violate any regulations.

if youve not changed a plug before ask a friend that has to do it. make sure a 3amp fuse is used, all connections are tight, the cordgrip is used properly and the length of the wires is such that the live would get pulled out first and the earth (where present) last, if the cordgrip were to fail.
 Alert Moderators
Steve

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Most electrical kit says, in the last page of the instructions, something along the lines of "if the supplied plug is unsuitable for the sockets in your area, chop it off and remove any fuse and replace with a suitable plug". Followed by a wiring diagram.
 Alert Moderators
bernardgreen

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote

I have seen a couple of hair straigheners where the cable has failed at the point of flexing.

The cable was defective. The insulation on the wires should be free to move inside the outer sheath to make the cable flexible. There was white lubricant powder ( french chalk ?) but the solvent from the plastic had leached out and all but welded the insulation to the sheath making the cable far less flexible.

Manufacturer replaced the items and changed the supplier of cable.
 Alert Moderators
plugwash

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote

jj4091 wrote:
Not sure what you mean by a european plug under the uk one

i'm assuming it was one of theese

anyway as others have said you should be fine just cutting off the plug and fitting a normal british one.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: