European to UK plug rewiring?

we got a cheaply imported george formby grill from TJ hughes, with a euro to british adaptor, earthed too. the only bad thing about it is that the flex sticks out from the wall, as opposed to being parallel to the wall.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
jj4091 said:
Not sure what you mean by a european plug under the uk one

i'm assuming it was one of these
800px-Euro_converter_plug2.jpg

anyway as others have said you should be fine just cutting off the plug and fitting a normal british one.

Yep that's the one. It's definitely the flex on the European cable as I've just plugged the GHD's into the shaving socket in our bathroom and pushing the flex towards the plug makes them turn on.

So how easy should this be? When I strip back the cable what should I expect? There's no earth wire is there? Live and Neutral I am assuming?

Thanks again for all your help people, it's much appreciated.

you will find two wires, almost certainly brown and blue.

they go to the live and neutral pins, it doesn't really matter which way round but you may as well follow convention and put brown to live and blue to neutral.

Sponsored Links
sm1thson said:
hmm, its important to be cautious, and definately dont chop the plug off anything in warranty because it will invalidate it, but i cant believe there has been an instance of an insurance company (in this country) not paying out because a faulty appliance had a DIY plug on it! plugs dont come under part p and changing them doesnt violate any regulations.

if youve not changed a plug before ask a friend that has to do it. make sure a 3amp fuse is used, all connections are tight, the cordgrip is used properly and the length of the wires is such that the live would get pulled out first and the earth (where present) last, if the cordgrip were to fail.
I beg to differ, there are suppliers i deal with on a day to day basis that sell amongst their other stuff, equipment which they go to great deal to specify that it doesn't comply with or has approval yet they still sell it, basically they advertise it as "not approved for use in the UK"
this goes to show that although allowed to sell, it is the consumers responsibility as to the application of the equipment.
As one that has a real loathing of insurance companies and their abilities to wriggle out of compensation at any chance, I for one would not trust them finding out a loophole to avoid payment

Yes. But here we are talking about a product that is approved for uk. Infact ghd are or were based in ilkley. And we are talking about changing a plug. I still dont belive there has been a case of an insurance company not paying out over a correctly replaced plug.

Right people I just changed it and it appears to have worked fine.

The missus is slightly worried as it's not earthed but I told her not to worry. Should I have? Is there anyway of earthing them?

Thanks everyone for your advice, it really is appreciated.

No the product is double insulated, and therefore designed not to have an earth connected to it.

Useless fact: I used to work for the MD of GHD at the last firm I worked for:cool: . Nice fellar.

sm1thson said:
Yes. But here we are talking about a product that is approved for uk. Infact ghd are or were based in ilkley. And we are talking about changing a plug. I still dont belive there has been a case of an insurance company not paying out over a correctly replaced plug.
For some time now manufacturers have been selling appliances with moulded plugs on as there has been a drive to get away from the DIY practice of installing plugs to chop off a moulded plug and replace with a wired plug would definitely be classed as modification and negate any approval sticker on said appliance, does the fact that the equipment is no longer approved allow it's use in the UK? Interesting one that.

If you look in the back of the instruction booklet of very many appliances, there is a section marked "FOR U.K. AND IRELAND ONLY" which says that if the plug is not suitable, chop it off and fit and suitable one, and provides instructions on how to do so, complete with diagram.

In those cases, I can't see any problem with warranty.

plugwash said:
jj4091 said:
Not sure what you mean by a european plug under the uk one

i'm assuming it was one of theese
800px-Euro_converter_plug2.jpg

anyway as others have said you should be fine just cutting off the plug and fitting a normal british one.
Thanks ,that's a first,not seen one of those before.

Many Sony products have 'em along with a lot of digital camera and camcorder leads. Negates the need for them to produce two different types of power lead.

tim west said:
...to chop off a moulded plug and replace with a wired plug would definitely be classed as modification and negate any approval sticker on said appliance, does the fact that the equipment is no longer approved allow it's use in the UK? Interesting one that.
Interesting in that it's utter b*llocks. But then the truth and tim west never were best friends. :rolleyes:

tim west said:
...to chop off a moulded plug and replace with a wired plug would definitely be classed as modification and negate any approval sticker on said appliance

So why do most manufacturers include a page in their instructions devoted to changing the plug top if it gets damaged or is the wrong type?

Wake up!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back