Shower question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently found out that the previous occupier has had the electric shower (8Kw) wired up (via pullcord) to a socket (up into the loft then down in between stud wall to back of socket) obviously this is wrong! I have the old type of fuse box, but have recently had new combi boiler. Should i rip out the electric shower and fit a therm mixer or get the electric shower fitted correctly and change to a Consumer unit with RCD\\\'s etc

Sponsored Links
gauntsfist said:
Hi

Recently found out that the previous occupier has had the electric shower (8Kw) wired up (via pullcord) to a socket (up into the loft then down in between stud wall to back of socket) obviously this is wrong! I have the old type of fuse box, but have recently had new combi boiler. Should i rip out the electric shower and fit a therm mixer or get the electric shower fitted correctly and change to a Consumer unit with RCD\\\'s etc

BTW We are not using it until i decide what to do

Its amazing what you find when you buy a house.... so many bodged jobs.... Hence the reason for Part P regs i guess....

If you going to have an electric shower, id get a sparks in, to wire one in the correct way.... dont gor get youll prob need a plumber too, and new CU, earth bonding etc etc.....

Oh and dont forget to notify council too.... Part P regs Rule......

Oh, and seen as its wired into aplug socket in the loft.... I wouldnt bother using it, untill a propper sparks has been a looked / condemed it......

Water and Electrics do not mix.....Niether do House / Loft fires....

Sponsored Links
Personally I would fit the thermostatic mixer. You should get a much better flow than that of an 8kW shower. I am considering doing this myself (when I finish my other list of jobs that is) although my shower is only 7 or 7.5kW. I did a bucket fill test (time to fill a bucket with water) using the electric shower and then with the mixed hot and cold from the combi. I found the bucket filled in a third of the time with the combi so I will expect a good shower when I make the change. Bear in mind that my combi is near the top of the range, Glowworm 38CXi and has a better than average hot water flow rate. Steve.

MasterAbacus said:
Its amazing what you find when you buy a house.... so many bodged jobs.... Hence the reason for Part P regs i guess....

If you going to have an electric shower, id get a sparks in, to wire one in the correct way.... dont gor get youll prob need a plumber too, and new CU, earth bonding etc etc.....

If the electric shower gets riped out would i still need to notify the council if i had a therm shower fitted?

gauntsfist said:
MasterAbacus said:

If the electric shower gets riped out would i still need to notify the council if i had a therm shower fitted?

Technicaly im not sure, ceen as your not Adding, replacing the curcuit... your just removing it.... Cant see anything being wrong with just unplu ig in the loft and rip it out myself.... but im sure someone else might have further comments...

and its not a curcuit as such, it a plugged in device.... Just pull it, bin it, but what ever you do dont use it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back