Paintint / Varnishing old wood doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just sent my doors off to be dipped in acid to get the 80years of paint off and to get them back to wood, what do I have to paint them with to protect them, do I have to paint them to protect them or will they be ok just to be left alone ????

They are solid wood doors by the way except the top square which is thin ply wood. 1920 's style

Sponsored Links
You will probably find they have the scars of ages on them, with holes from old hinges, locks and handles, and maybe scorched if they have been burnt off. They will have been made from a timber intended to be painted, not varnished, oiled or stained.

Wash them down with water first and sponge off to remove any traces of the chemical.

Fill any unwanted holes, also dents and gouges.

I quite like lift-off hinges as they make recorating much easier (also moving furniture).

If you want them to look original, try to find suitable old locks and handles, sand them smooth and paint carefully. Use an oil-based primer first, as a water-based one will raise the grain.

No, I'm just opinionated and like the sound of my own typing :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back