John lewis eletric oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, sorry if you are sick of this question. I have read many of the similar threads and want to get this right.

I intend putting a seperate single oven and hob where old freestanding cooker was.

30amp mcb feeds cooker switch from CU.

I realise this will only feed the hob John Lewis (AEG) 5.8kw max

How should I feed the John Lewis (AEG) single oven 2.5kw max
(rec min cable 2.5mm2 & 20amp fuse)?

Should I make a fused spur from the cooker switch or is it safe to fit a plug and connect to a nearby socket (on ring main)?

Thanks
TBolt

Sponsored Links
Hello,
Do you know what size cable your existing cooker circuit is wired in, and the distance from the c/u to the outlet ?
Just asking, as you 'may' be able to fit a larger mcb if the cable can handle it.
All the best,
Ed.

A 2.5kW oven will run from a 13A socket or FCU on the ring. Then you can keep the cooker circuit fused at or close to the max load from the hob. This also avoids making notifiable changes to the cooker circuit.

However it is relevant to check what the total likely load is on that ring from other appliances.

Hi folks thanks for your replies.

CU is 5m from cooker switch.
Cable is 10mm2

Consumer unit is 20yrs old so has standard circuit breakers.
I have booked an electrician to upgrade CU. I hope he fits MK. Any other brands you reccommend?

I am still trying to work out the loads on the ring.

Thanks TBolt

Sponsored Links
Substantial loads on the ring are washing machine, tumble drier, oven, dishwasher. Electric heaters. Tea urns if you have a canteen :LOL: Anything with a big heating element. Kettles, toasters and combi microwaves, if they are all going to be on at the same time or for long periods. That's why many people like to have a separate circuit for the kitchen or utility room. Table lamps, radios and PCs are not heavy loads.

I like MEM, very good, not at all cheap. Crabtree also good. MK CUs seem to have gone downhill over the years though their switches and sockets seem good.

Can you afford the cost of having your sockets put on RCBOs (instead of having a split-load board)?

Get a good big CU with plenty of room for future expansion. the extra cost of a bigger plastic box and some fresh air in it is not great.

Check that your electrician is a member of a self-certification scheme (ask which one) and will provide you with a certificate on completion. Think of any wiring you will want in the kitchen and bathroom so you can have it all done in one job to save the trouble and expense of separate notifications.

Have the discussion before he arrives.

Thanks again.

Electrician booked for a quote on everything.
I have gone to local company rather than risk asking friends of friends!

TBolt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back