concrete mix ratio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Id like to work out the amount of concrete required for an area of 1.3 metres cubed.

How many bags of cement and how many bags of ballast will i need.

I dont know how to work it out or the ratio required.

It is for a conservatory base.

Sponsored Links
It would be a lot cheaper to have it delivered and not in bags which is the dear way of doing it.

The builder merchants will have a calulation charts to work it out for you.

I think it used to be 8 x 25kg cement to 1 cubic metre ballast sand but check with the calulation charts first.

Cement bag now come in at 12kg instead of 25kg.

aseadon, it's not a cop-out but you wouldn't believe how complex a question this is.

Have a quick look at this link for a clue: Concrete Design

I would advise readymix. It's much easier and probably cheaper.

Well you could use ready mix, only one thing...they like to dump it in a pile and if you have not calculated in properly which even with my experience I end up having a couple of barrows over or under.

Then you could use a barrow mix service, they mix it at the door for you. A little more expensive but you get exactly what you want, only problem is that they like to barrow it to you like concrete was going out of fashion, not nice if you are trying to lay a floor.

Then there is the 'old fashioned' way of hand batching it:

As a rule of thumb, one cubic metre of wet concrete weighs 2.5 metric tonne, calculate that into your cubic requirement and we get 3.25 tonne. If we use a ratio of 4:2:1 and calculate there is 1000 kg in a tonne bag, you could use a 'bag' method and say there is 20 bags (8st or 50kg) per tonne...sooo... 4 bags of gravel...2 bags of sharp sand...and one bag of cement (two actually because you only get then in half bags now:25kg)
Put that into our equation and we get approx 10 mixes :)

Now you can only get one tonne bags delivered so I would order two 1 tonne bags of pea gravel, one 1 tonne bag of sharp sand and twenty 25 kg bags of cement..oh and a bit of water.. ;)

I hope this helps but I warn you it will be hard work and you will never have calculated exactly your cubic requirements so you you might need a little bit more or you might have some left.

Sponsored Links
Building Contractor said:
or you might have some left.

if you do, you could put it in a bin liner and make designer stepping stones
(and how much is some? :LOL: )

:LOL: seriously i was wathing tv, that irish chap Dimund Gavin? had his team make stepping stones as i mentioned

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back