Single Bang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced all the cisterns in our toilets with the special quieter ones which are great, however, when the toilet is flushed and the fill up finishes there is a loud single bang when the water is shut off. I have turned down the amount of water coming into the house at the mains valve which does help. Any suggestions to cure the problem totally would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Shock arrestor or mini-prv (pressure reduction valve).

Closing your main stop tap will only lead to tap failure over a period of time (seizing, stuff getting caught in the jumper etc)

Is there a flow restrictor supplied with the valve fitted on the valve inlet? They are often a piece of plastic with a deep screw thread. They fit in the valve inlet to reduce the flow so the valve doesn't snap shut with a bang when it closes.
There are often different ones fitted according to water pressure. Use a 'finer thread' one for higher water pressure.

I've found Torbeck valves often going bang even with the helical inserts fitted. FluidMaster are better.
You could try fitting a service valve if there isn't one and nearly closing it, which defeats the object...

Sponsored Links
You need to find out where the bang is coming from. It could be a 'dead leg' of cold water piping that is full of air. When a cistern valve closes sharply, the inertia of the water flow stopping suddenly compresses the trapped air and (possibly also causing physical pipe movement) makes a bang. Just loose pipes (missing clips!) can also produce this sort of noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back