Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ariston washing machine that is 7 yrs old
it has started putting small holes randomly in cotton tee shirts
any idea what the fault is please???

Sponsored Links
yes it does.

next question.(sorry but to get it right i have to ask questions 1 at a time, if i ask all questions it doesnt work)

what temp / wash prog was used?

Sponsored Links
last question ( i hope) what does the wash care lable on said t shirt say?

wash with similar colours
wash inside out
40 degrees
do not bleach
do not tumble dry
Iron - low heat
do not dry clean

I was worried you may say that. because i can not give you a difinitve answer.

I shall expalin.

the small holes are casued by the fabric going through the holes in the inner drum, when they pass oversomething (usualy the heater support plate) This chops off the protruding piece of material, hey presto instant small hole.

The most common reasons are either overloading, wrong spin speed (Too fast and centrifugal force is too great sending the fabric through the inner drum holes) fabric getting too thin through age

Tears are usualy caused by bra wires poking up

Thanks anyway

I have found out that my wife has been using 1600rpm spin. She is going to use 1200 from now on.

I have seen sone comments on the web indicating the Agitator might be the cause. Do you think that it might be in my case?

only top loaders have an agitator.

But as your wife has been using 1600 spin, i bet £1 THAT is the reason, its too fast

I have a Beko washing machine, and only recently I had placed a white shirt and some white mens pants into the machine at a synthetic wash at 40 degrees, then I noticed some holes on one particular pair of pants, some were in a line of 3 holes.

So as the synthetic wash default speed is 800 rmp then I doubt in my case anyway that it's anything to do with the speed of the spin.

My machine is a front loader.

Seems to be intermittent, being that I put in pants without holes together with a bath towel, and no holes to report.

Any reason for this would you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back