Exterior security light not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 3 sensored security lights outside and 2 of them have suddenly stopped working, I have replaced the 120W spot bulbs but they remain off. Can anyone advise on what to do next ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
How do I check the supply ?

Angus Burger ? Is he the brother of Aston Villa's Patrik ?

Sponsored Links
If 1 light works and the other two are part of the same circuit it would tend to indicate that the light fittings may have died.

Have you a multi meter and are you comfortable with testing live electrical service?

If not, call someone in who is!

If you are okay with it then:-

Main fuse at CU- Does the 2 faulty lights run on the same circuit as the one that works?

(if so, the fuse must be 'good' otherwise the working lamp wouldn't)

Open the covers of the light fittings and test for voltage across the live / neutral.

If both fittings have power, then the fittings have failed. If neither fitting has power then you have a wiring fault.

It becomes difficult to add to this further since you haven't explained the wiring set up.

Does each light have a seperate light switch or are there 3 switches, one for each light?

Do the lights make up part of the main lighting circuit? or

Do the lights come via the ring main and have a fused spur box between the ring live and the lights (if so has the fuse gone?)?

Please expand on your detail regarding the set up, and I'm sure someone will try to help, maybe even me :LOL:

Okay, right I will try.....(I've only moved in recently and the bloke before me was a bit of a DIY maniac, whereas I am not, but I have replaced my ceiling and wall lights myself so am willing to tackle this problem).

On this 2 bed semi, there are 3 exterior lights outside all on sensors, 2 are above the back/side door, (1 just above the door frame and one at the very top of the wall near the roof apex), the last one is around the back of the house just above the top bedroom window. There is 1 sensor on the fornt of the house (so the highest light on the side comes on when you pull in the driveway), 1 sensor by the fitting above the door frame and one sensor around the back.

I dont know if they are on the one circuit, there is a switch in the kitchen that controIs the lowest light on the side, and there is a switch in the loft that keeps all lights permantly switched on.

I have never had to use a switch to turn any of them on, they just.....well....they just come on when you walk in front of them !!

Have a look at the wiring routing for the lights, is the cable external or can you see no cable, indicating it all comes straight in to the house via a hole behind the light fitting.

Frequently these types of lights are run via a fused spur outlet tapped in to the 1st floor ring, if at 10' height outside or via the lighting circuit in the loft, if the lights are at 17'+ height.

The suggestion that there's a master switch in the loft is unusual, that suggests that the wiring of all lamps is linked, which I wouldn't normally consider on 3 x PIR activated lamps, in 3 areas around the house fabric.

You need to live test the cables (might be best left to a mtce spark) and if they are dead, find the cable route (internal or external) and work back towards the points where each lamp connects to the main building circuits.

There's still quite a few, if's, but's and maybe's- honestly, it would be easier to pay someone.

If you wish to carry on, then post up your investigations based on the actions suggested and I'll try to help further.

Much appreciated pal, you cant put a price on advice. I will have a good look to see whats what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back