Sanding walls - too smooth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm currently redecorating the living room and want to re-paint the walls. Like the previous owner, I am going to paint directly on the plastered wall, i.e. not using lining paper.

This may be an odd question, but when it comes to sanding the wall down, is it possible to make it too smooth? On a small patch I used a coarse P80 paper followed by some medium (P120 I think) wet&dry paper (used wet) which produced a really nice smooth surface. Before I do the rest of the room like this, however, I would like to know whether I may end up making the walls too smooth to apply the paint effectively? I'm planning on using a roller, for which I would imagine a slightly rougher surface might allow better coverage.

Thanks for your help
Russ

Sponsored Links
Are you saying you are painting onto bare plaster?..

Dont rub it down with anything you will scratch it to pieces

Hi,

No, the walls are plastered but have been painted several times already. I will be only be sanding back the existing paint.

Ta
R

I doubt if you will make the walls so smooth they wont take the paint but you may be going overboard with the rubbing down...

You will find that when you re paint you will put back some of the surface due to the fact that emulsion dries very quicky

If you really want a good quality finish now id suggest you brush it...if you use a roller all your hard work will be in vain

Sponsored Links
lightly sand walls wipe clean and paint. If walls have been painted before no problem.
if any check sometimes oil paint and latex won't stick or bond.

crazy canuck

ps what is this lining paper i keep hearing about don't have the word in canada.

crazycanuck said:
ps what is this lining paper i keep hearing about don't have the word in canada.
It's a plain cheap wallpaper that's used for covering rough walls before painting or putting up your finish wallpaper. It comes in different thicknesses depending on how bad the walls are.

crazycanuck said:
lightly sand walls wipe clean and paint. If walls have been painted before no problem.
if any check sometimes oil paint and latex won't stick or bond.

crazy canuck

You might call it base paper or backing paper over there

Thanks for your help guys,

I think I'm going to opt for the LIGHT sanding option!

Other than sanding and more sanding does anyone have any particular tips on how to get rid of brush marks? The person who lived here last has left heavy brush marks in all the corners where she tried to do the cutting in.

Cheers
R

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back