removal of multi-layered paint on old stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're going for quite a modern look in our new flat although it's almost 100 years old. It still has the original stairs which underneath the many of layers of paint seems to be in good condition. I'm just wandering what's the best way to get rid of the many layers of paint. What product(s) do I use? I don't want to damage the recently skimmed walls and I have a toddler so I don't want to use anything toxic.

Sponsored Links
I think there is an eco friendly paint stripper out there...but like everything else that says 'eco' on it it will be expensive..and not very effective.

To be honest the easiest and sometimes cheapest option will be to take the spindles out and get em dipped.

Wait till the summer and use a hot air stripper on the rest...then you can open the windows.

becareful as much of the paint you will be removing will almost certainly be lead paint,

we did the banisters in our house, 90 years old and to be honest i wish we hadn`t its very time consuming, i am talking atleast a week of 12 hour days. use a hot air gun on lower setting, you don`t want to burn the paint as this releases all the lead, keep the todler out the way and once done clean the walls, carpets and everything well.

look on the net for guidlines on dealing with lead paint.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back