Overload - time for sparky?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Problem #1
The lighting circuit trips out when a particular dimmer switch is turned on (for two side-lights). I've changed the actual switch and checked the wiring and fuse-wire...all seems ok. As a check, I wired the side lights to the room's main light...all three lights do come on, but then it trips out again. Thoughts? :eek:

Problem #2
Based around the cooker...electricity trips out when the grill or the oven is turned on. It's Ok when all x4 electrical rings are on by themselves, though...or a combination of a ring and/or low setting grill/oven. The cooker is a fairly new unit and 'did' work just fine. Wiring in teh cooker switch/junction box seems fine. :evil:

Any initial areas to check...any other info required for more accurate advice...any help appreciated.

TIA
David :)

Sponsored Links
Problem 1

Sounds like one of the wall lights is the source of the problem.

Problem 2

Possible overload of the circuit..some took diversity into account!!

Phone an electrician, the lighting needs to be tested properly and I think I may be right in assuming you do not have an Insulation Resistance Tester or the knowledge of how to use it?

You need to ensure that the cooker circuit is capable of handling the loading you want to put on it.

Remember, 6mm2 cable is good for something NOT EXCEEDING 40A
10mm2 NOT EXCEEDING 45A

What keeps tripping?

Is it the mcb or rcd? The trip for the individual circuit (mcb) or the trip that switches off several circuits (rcd). Or do you have an RCBO? (usually same thickness as mcb but with test button on - this is a combi mcb/rcd unit)

When you say the oven is fine with 4 rings on, but trips when oven or grill turned on, do you mean it trips when all 4 rings are on and the oven or grill is on?

If this is the case, there may be overload. If it trips with oven/grill on by themselves, there could be a short.

What size is your oven supply cable and mcb?

As for the lights, you mention fuse wire, but say the circuit is tripping, although the fusewire is fine.

If you disconnect the wall/table lamps altogether and switch back on (make sure there are no shorts) do the lights still go off?

Sponsored Links
The trip for the individual circuit (mcb) or the trip that switches off several circuits (rcd).
.........the rcd.

When you say the oven is fine with 4 rings on, but trips when oven or grill turned on, do you mean it trips when all 4 rings are on and the oven or grill is on?
..........sorry - it doesn't trip with x4 rings on. It only trips when the grill and/or oven is on in addition to one (or more) rings.

If you disconnect the wall/table lamps altogether and switch back on (make sure there are no shorts) do the lights still go off?
.........the main light in the room works fine when the two side-lights are disconnected...mind you I haven't tried turning on the dimmer whilst the side-lights are disconnected...I'm not in the house at present, so can't check.

Many thanks for y'all help thus far fellas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back