Tile Spacing....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my bathroom tiled today and I am a little concerned at the gap between the tiles.Some of the tiles are touching each other (no gap) and the rest have a 1mm gap.The tiles are 4" x 4" and I am worried I will not get the affect I am looking for once they are grouted as there will be very little grout in there.What would you do if it were you? Would you ask him to remove and replace?? Is this possible without damaging the tiles??

Any advice would be most welcome :cry:

Sponsored Links
4"x4" tiles should generally have a 2mm grout gap. If the gap is not consistant, stop him before he grouts.

youre paying, so politley point out youre not happy. he may have had an off day or one or two may have slipped.....or he may just be not very good! Either way as gcol says!

Sponsored Links
The chances of removing your size of tiles in one piece are far greater than if they were larger. It helps if they are newly laid too. If you're not happy, get him to shift em asap.

Thanks gcol, he is coming back tomorrow and I'm going to tell him to take them all off and re-fit them with the correct spacing.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in your house tomorrow! Just ask yourself the question, are you sure that he's doing a bad job? Are you sure that the gaps are inconsistent? If you're totally sure then you should be having words, if not, get a second opinion before he turns up. If you're going to ask him to redo the tiles, be very careful how you word it because his natural reaction would be to walk off the job - however, if you've no confidence in his abilities then this might not be a bad thing if he does. Good luck and please come back and let us know how you get on. Hey, why haven't you posted a few photos?
What you need to know though, is that it's not a 5 min job to take off the tiles and clean them up to re-use them - like I say, be careful how you speak to him cause I think he may walk.

Ok here are a few pics

05-03-07_2210.jpg

05-03-07_2209.jpg

05-03-07_2211.jpg

The third pic is a top view and as you can see the two tile are touching leaving around 1mm for grout.[/img]

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh no no no. That's TOTALLY unacceptable. Make him take the lot off and clean up the tiles, then sack him. You NEED another tiler because if he's done that, there's no way he's going to do a proper job under any circumstances. My toddler could do better than that!

:eek: my good god :eek:

i would have told him to walk after laying 2 tiles.
that is the worst job i hae seen in a long time :(

as gcol said........SACK HIM.

Sack him and do it yourself, get the tile spacers and a tile cutter and you could do it yourself, or i'll come and do it for the same he quoted!!! if your around huddersfield

As long as he cleans the tiles first!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back