Tiling Damp Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I am thinking of tiling my bathroom but one wall has really bad condensation. I repainted with bathroom paint last year but it has peeled of in large sections and flaked away over the winter. I want to tile to overcome all the issues that come with damp walls (mold etc) but will I have trouble tiling such a damp wall? Should I treat it or prepare it in any special way beforehand? Any advise for this novice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
JoeG said:
...will I have trouble tiling such a damp wall?
You won't have any trouble tiling it, but the tiles will stay up only if the underlying layers are secure.

Should I treat it or prepare it in any special way beforehand?
Make sure that the wall is dry and that any loose layers are removed (and, if necessary, repaired).

Thanks for that. The paint seems to be the only thing that is flaking. Plaster unneath is fine and fairly new (3 years old). Do I need to sand the surface before? Thanks again.

If you are getting condensation you also need to improve the ventilation.

Probably the best solution is an extractor fan that comes on automatically with the bathroom light, since may people have an psychological aversion to ventilation and will close windows and turn off fans if they can.

Sponsored Links
Thats good advice but problematic for me. I already have an extractor fan fitted right above the shower cubicle (one of those with spotlight at the centre). It does not have any windows and it is a small shower room. Any ideas what to do about it?

More powerful extractor?

Is it wired to be on ALL the time EVERY time someone is in the bathroom?

You can get ones with a run-on timer or a humidity sensor as well. Wet walls and towels keep a bathroom damp for quite a time after use.

Yes it comes on as the light is turned on and stays on for a short time after the light is switched off. didn't install the extractor myself but it is only 3 years old also (renovated flat in Georgian terrace which that wall happens to be at the end off!). Would it be an easy job to replace the fan thats already there and would it make that much difference?

I suspect it is a weedy low-voltage one. If you can get into the space above the ceiling you will probably find there is a 100mm-ish plastic duct like you use for a tumble drier; you can get a bigger fan that will splice into this duct and can be supplied from the light switch. Or you could fasten it to the wall where it exhausts through and connect the duct to it.

Electrical work in the bathroom itself is notifiable, and you mustn't use an ordinary mains voltage fan directly above the shower, but one in the loft or ceiling space is OK.

Are you confident with electrical work yourself or would you get someone in? You would probably have to order a ducted fan from an electrical supplier, I doubt you would get one with any power in a DIY shed.

There is a false ceiling in the bathroom that contains the duct you mention and I think it may vent the cooker hood too! So what your saying is to attach the fan to this but still leave the cheap on intact. I assume this will also improve the extractor cooker hood too. I think I would have to get someone to do it since I would have to be approved anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Great. I forgot to say, try to measure the existing duct first. If you are lucky and have a 150mm duct it will be easier to fit a more powerful fan than to a 100mm. It is not too hard to drill a bigger hole in the wall (there is a special tool) but rather a dusty job.

here we go again!
make it cute but don't fix the problem, first you have mould your family will have health problems down the road.If the mould is in the drywall you shoud change it now use a mould fogger available at your local rental outlet when the studs are bare.
check to see if condensation is coming from another source if so fix.
apply dry wall moisture type not regular or backer board if you desire .
Now ventelation! vent fan in shower stall no way! move it and make it seperate from the stove vent I can just see grease problems now approved light ok, I'll bet the
moisture is half the vents problem.
when all is done go ahead and tile using epoxy cement and don't forget to seal grout as per instructions.

crazycanuck

you had better have a totally enclosed motor and wiring or don't go in
water,steam and moisture does't mix with electricity

crazycanuck said:
you had better have a totally enclosed motor and wiring or don't go in water,steam and moisture does't mix with electricity
You're being a bit weird about this. There are regulations that govern what can be fitted where, and it's perfectly permissable to fit a fan above the shower as long as those regulations are followed.

BTW, showers generate water vapour, not steam. ;)

The fan/light JoeG described in a familiar type, it is designed for use in a shower enclosure . Waterproof and low voltage from a remote transformer. Only problem is that it is not very powerful. (this is a UK website. Here a mains voltage extractor is less trouble if it is not mounted directly above a bath or shower as the restrictions on IP rating are less onerous).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back