Tiling Damp Wall

Not sure if I am allowed to post a link, but I bought a Domus fan http://www.domusventilation.com/fans1.html which is pretty good and better than the usual DIY store fans.....

I have it directly above the shower cubicle and as Softus points out, it is perfectly safe. The fan is inline, placed in the loft and only the vent inlet with a suitable IP rated shower light appears in the ceiling.

PP

Sponsored Links
Its nice to see a bit of discussion on the condensation! The wall in question is a stone wall (bath stone I believe ~150 years old) and was newly plastered when renovated (not by me) with no dry wall layer. As said previously the shower room is extremely small and this wall is a curved one. So this causes 2 problems. 1. How do you dryline a curved wall? and 2. I probably don't have enough clearance between the wall and the toilet to do it even if I could.

I would like to be able to just replace the fan I have with a stronger one but don't know anything about the one I have or how I might replace it. As for placing one directly on the wall in question well is a damn thick wall!!! Its probably about 2 foot thick. Anyway I may need consent for that as its a Grade II listed building.

As for the comment about the harm it may cause my family. I understand this as both myself and my wife are scientists (hence I am rubbish at DIY!) and more particularly she is a fungal scientist. We don't think the strain we appear to have is causing a problem but it looks unsightly and grows quickly. I am not one for a quick fix so not just tiling to make it "look pretty" but at the very least its easier to clean and will not peel off like the paint does.

Thanks for all the comments. Any more tips very welcome.

Joe

JoeG said:
Yes it comes on as the light is turned on and stays on for a short time after the light is switched off.
I has this problem when I built my extension across the back meaning doing away with the bathroom window. I got fed up with fan & light, always felt stuffy and musky smell in the bathroom, I have lifted the ceiling right up to the roof rafters and fitted a electric velux window because I cannot reach it. Now have plenty of ventilation with natural daylight. Don't know if it's possible with yours?

I has this problem when I built my extension across the back meaning doing away with the bathroom window. I got fed up with fan & light, always felt stuffy and musky smell in the bathroom, I have lifted the ceiling right up to the roof rafters and fitted a electric velux window because I cannot reach it. Now have plenty of ventilation with natural daylight. Don't know if it's possible with yours?

Nice idea but unfortunately its a ground floor flat so not possible.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back