Replacement oven element

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just replaced the element in our candy fan oven, problem is I'm pretty sure its the wrong one :oops: .

The broken one had 3 turns, and was rated 2.2kW, the one I ordered and fitted is 2kW, 2 turn (despite cooker model being listed beside it on parts website - I didn't just deliberately order the wrong one! I noticed this when it arrived today)

My question is - is this stupidly dangerous??! It works, but glows - something I never noticed the old one doing, I guess due to the difference in rating. Should I replace this with a 2.2 kW one asap?

thanks

Sponsored Links
The element would only draw the current it was designed to draw ie. 8amps (2000W) - so in other words, you shouldn't overload the new element. I'd have just thought that it might take a fraction longer to get to cooking temp.

Maybe Candy changed the specs since they made your oven.

Having said that, its not a double oven is it? I have one of those and the top oven/grill which isnt fan assisted has an element of different rating.

Jim

Thanks for replying - no, its just a single fan oven.

I guess its quite old now, so the specs may well have changed - I was just worried about the glowing - I read somewhere that they shouldn't glow in fan ovens?

I guess its quite old now, so the specs may well have changed - I was just worried about the glowing - I read somewhere that they shouldn't glow in fan ovens?

Not sure about that.

Have you contacted candy? They might be able to throw some light on the subject.

Sponsored Links
Is the fan running at the correct speed? If it's running slow the element will glow.
Having said that, I have come across various makes where the element does glow while it initially heats up. Once at temperature it doesn't glow when it's working to maintain temperature.

Good point - fan is OK but I never looked to see if it stopped glowing when it reached temp, will have a look... thanks

Otherwise I might try and get in touch with Candy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back