dangerous

Can you give an example of a regular on here who hasn't asked for the install method,cable length or done calcs when advising.Or a post where the OP has been told to seek the services of an expert as they didn't appear to have a clue what they were doing?

Sponsored Links
nidgehj said:
im right in saying that electrical faults contribute to more fires in domestic premises than any other single cause,

stats.jpg

<edit> Bah!

No this is not true - it is a well known fact that the Fire Service will attribute fires to electrical faults when there is a lack of evidence to prove other causes.

I happen to know a couple of Senior Fire Officers who have said this as in a lot of cases they do not have the resources to investigate fires involving non fatalities.

Sponsored Links
nidgehj said:
i think this website has a cavalier approach to electrical matters, electricians spend years at college and longer receiving on site training, this is because electrical work is dangerous at best, deadly if all the correct calculations of current carrying capacity of the cables used are not correct. please stop encouraging the general public to tamper with something that could kill them

You only have look back to yesterday to find a post like this: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82469 where some of the qualified sparks are doing their best to ensure someone is competent to do the work they are suggesting. Often a poster only has to show the slightest hint of not being sure of what they are talking about and people will be telling them to get a qualified spark in. It seems a bit harsh sometimes - but if it makes the poster think seriously about what they are doing this is a good thing.

Hang around for a few months and you soon realise that far from encouraging people to tamper with stuff - a whole lot of discouraging goes on.

dont want to disrespect the contributors, but the site itself encourages people who do not have the relevent qualifications or membership to an aproved association which entitles them complete electrical work complying to part p of the building regulations, thus breaking the law.

nidgehj said:
part p isnt just for qualified electricians you know.

Part P actually has nothing whatsoever to do with electricians, in the same way that the building regulations as a whole have nothing to do with builders.

Please stop misleading readers of this forum with meaningless statements like this.

nidgehj said:
dont want to disrespect the contributors, but the site itself encourages people who do not have the relevent qualifications or membership to an aproved association which entitles them complete electrical work complying to part p of the building regulations.

You do not need any qualifications or trade body membership to carry out work which fully complies with Part P of the building regs.

that far from encouraging people to tamper with stuff - a whole lot of discouraging goes on.

Not so - I think those of us that carry out electrical work as a profession can tell by the nature of the questions posted on what's the best advice to give.

This is a DIY forum and as such none of us professionals should be seen to be

1. Toting for business
2. Advising posters to carry out work that we feel is unsafe for them to do
3. Discouraging those that show competence in what they are proposing

and finally please ask questions as the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked - every one can learn something new every day.

yea, im sure all the DIYers report to the building ispector after they have carried out major works, get real...

MOD 2

if you carry on with this antagonistic approach

i will start pressing buttons

this is a forum not your own personal soapbox if you don't like the advice

post elsewhere

nidgehj

I have the impression that you just want to stir things up on this forum.

Maybe you should go and try this on another forum which has the same initials as Science Fiction and seems to thrive on Hornet's Nests

nidgehj said:
yea, im sure all the DIYers report to the building ispector after they have carried out major works, get real...

You really do need to understand that the building regulations apply to pretty much everything you can contemplate doing with a dwelling. It's not just Part P that is overlooked... many so-called professionals are entirely ignorant of the regulations, so what chance the DIYer will understand?

But, in time, awareness will grow. For now I'd be happy if the self-professed professional sparks out there took a bit of time to understand and adhere to BS 7671, never mind any of the plethora of other regulations that apply...

i know the relevent bodies have seized on part p and turned it into a money making exercise, but the law is the law

You're wrong again, you see.

Sit down in a well-lit room for a few months and see if you can come up with a workable scheme to police self-certifying installers that is both cheaper and easier to administrate than any of the schemes in existence.

As the mods have deduced, you're only here to stir up trouble. You'd be far better off if you started doing some proper research... like the DIYers who come on here do!

Then, when you're properly informed, you'll be in a better position to offer an opinion.

well, as we all know, part p was a reaction to a single incident, and has turned out to be counter productive, the big firms can afford to register and comply, the small firms cant, the consumer gets a quote from the big boys and decides they can do the same job theirselves, without help from yourselves, before you know it, theyre another statistic. the government should have created an inspectorate, self certification is wrong . my thoughts anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back