dangerous

nidgehj said:
well, as we all know, part p was a reaction to a single incident

If you are referring to the MPs daughter who was tragically electrocuted then I'm afraid, yet again you are ill informed.

Part P of the building regs was already well on its way to being introduced before this occurred.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget that for some (like Tim West) this forum is in the virtual world. Don't take the bait and reply.

Edit. RF.. I was typing so my post was general and not meant for you just incase you got the wrong idea ;)

Theres nothing finer than a good old flash bang and wallop from a dodgy DIY job

i love em

its what DIY shops were made for

:LOL:

DESL said:
that far from encouraging people to tamper with stuff - a whole lot of discouraging goes on.

Not so - I think those of us that carry out electrical work as a profession can tell by the nature of the questions posted on what's the best advice to give.

This is a DIY forum and as such none of us professionals should be seen to be

1. Toting for business
2. Advising posters to carry out work that we feel is unsafe for them to do
3. Discouraging those that show competence in what they are proposing

and finally please ask questions as the only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked - every one can learn something new every day.

DESL - that quote's out of context, needs the previous para - putting in the context of people whose questions (and follow ups) show they seem to be out of their depth.

Sponsored Links
Mis use of electricity and sub standard installations are dangerous.

Statements made a person who has not researched the subject properly are also dangerous if they are taken at face value by others. They are also dangerous to the person if the person acts on them ignoring all other advice that doesn't agree with their self formed opinion.

Standing on a soapbox with an opinion based on rumour and in-accurate facts is a way to make oneself look foolish.

nidgehj said:
well, as we all know, part p was a reaction to a single incident...
And there you go, further confirming your utter ignorance of the facts.

...and has turned out to be counter productive, the big firms can afford to register and comply, the small firms cant...
Again, utter rubbish. Small firms still have far lower overheads and can easily out-compete the bigger concerns that your average householder wouldn't even approach. The sparks who are struggling are those who don't possess the requisite knowledge, skills and equipment to do the job they have been falsely representing themselves as competent to do.

the consumer gets a quote from the big boys and decides they can do the same job theirselves, without help from yourselves,
There always were and always will be, ***** customers. These same people will knock through rooms, fit new windows, carry out illegal loft conversions, etc, in either ignorance of or deliberately flouting the rules the rest of us live by... Legislation does nothing to completely prevent this, but it does further marginalise the perpetrators and it does keep Honest Joe on the straight and narrow.

the government should have created an inspectorate, self certification is wrong .
It is through a process of inspection and assessment that an enterprise is judged to be competent. Or would you prefer that, for every job, a building notification must be submitted in advance and additional fees incurred for certification?

my thoughts anyway
Your incompetent and ignorant opinions are worthless, I'm afraid. You cannot possibly argue a case you simply don't understand.

then what you are saying is that this forum should be closed down along with the purchase of any electrical fittings to the general public?

C,mon everyone give nidgehj a break, he may/must know it all.

What exactly are your qualifications with regards to electrical work?

I have been on this forum since passing my DISQ last september and find it enormously helpful, the guys on here are friendly and approachable and always ask for more information if enoughs not supplied.

Like most people have suggested if you don't like it, don't read it........... :)

must have touched a nerve here, i'll leave you guys to it, nothing like a good discission to raise the blood pressure.

nidgehj said:
must have touched a nerve here, i'll leave you guys to it, nothing like a good discission to raise the blood pressure.
The reality is that the guys on the Electrics UK have been utterly reasonable and rather polite towards you.

If you really want to know how it feels to get spleen all over your face then I suggest that you walk into the plumbing forum brandishing one of your mind-numbingly stupid opinions.

phewwwwwwww,(scratch of head) dont know aboat that mate. :LOL:

its not a boat its a bout...... :oops:

SherlockHolmes.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back