Removing a stud/partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove a non supporting partition wall in a property I'm about to move into. I'm guessing its a stud wall. Does anyone have any tips for stud wall removal?

Sponsored Links
If you are sure it is non supporting then all you have to watch for are pipes and cables that may run through it.Removal is dead easy. Remove the plasterboard and then either cut it up into manageable pieces to carry off or just take a large hammer and enjoy yourself.!!!!!

I hope you're really sure that it isn't supporting anything.
Sometimes studwork walls are supporting floor joists, trimmers staircases or roof members. Most of the 30s semis round where I live have original studwork holding up the Queens holding up the Purlins. Removing just a door frame (I mean the frame, not the lining) without moving the load could bring half of the roof down.
If the wall is lath and plaster, expect plaster dust everywhere.

Sponsored Links
Yup - it was just a stud. Due to some confusion with building control a small smoke lobby was built which cut out a large corner from the room. We were in the process of buying the place and were keen to get permission to remove the wall which only went up about a year ago. The guy at the council couldn't think why he'd asked for it to go up in the first place and gave us permission to take it down. Which we did, quite easily. Now we've taken it down and tidied up the where it joined the remaining wall and you'd never know it was ever there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back