Smoother Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daft question alert!!

Just about finished getting the kitchen done and the next task will be to sort the parts of the walls which don't have splashback on them. This is primarily the areas above the wall units but there are also a couple of other parts on a wall with no units on it.

The walls previously had tiles on them so there a bit of a mess underneath. I'm not too keen on getting a plasterer in as I'm trying to save some cash so I was wondering if you get some sort of paintable panels that you can fit to walls (like plasterboard but thinner)?

Sponsored Links
You can get printed splashbacks from the sheds however, a plasterer will cost about £20 to sort out the mess.

My advice, do the job right. You will have spent a few ££ on the kitchen, £20 is a false saving.

£20 would'nt even pay for the petrol to get to see the job in question !

Then don't get that plasterer.
There are laods around who would do that job on an evening.

Sponsored Links
Hehe, materials would not even cover it either ! £12 for 5 litres of PVA, £6 for one bag of Bonding Coat Plaster & £4 for one bag of Multi-Finish Plaster. Total for materials alone is £22. In other words you will need to get someone to pay YOU £2 for the privelage of doing your job, pmsl.

Were probably talking about 2-4 sq metres in total, how much is a plasterer likely to charge for that?

mparter said:
Were probably talking about 2-4 sq metres in total, how much is a plasterer likely to charge for that?

Not a plasterer.. But you have a lot of small area's to fiddle with If it was one wall 4 sq mtr doubt if you would have any change from £150.00. But all them fiddly bits will take longer.... Its the same as a decorator will shock you when you say, but, its only a little kitchen..... where two rolls of paper can take all day to fiddle round... Why dont you try some easyfill, though this will cost about £15 :LOL:

confidentincompetent is bang on in his assesment to your question " mparter".

Situation is materials £22, petrol and use vehicle costs prob £20, = £42.

The work could take 4 hours or even upto one day.

Minimum wage by law is £5.70 i think.

That works out to £84.80. (for one day)

However, the only plasterers who will work for £5.70 an hour is Polish one's as they can be discrimanated against due to there current political situation.

Or you can try and do it yourself.

Chioce is yours.

confidentincompetent said:
mparter said:

Not a plasterer.. But you have a lot of small area's to fiddle with If it was one wall 4 sq mtr doubt if you would have any change from £150.00. But all them fiddly bits will take longer.... Its the same as a decorator will shock you when you say, but, its only a little kitchen..... where two rolls of paper can take all day to fiddle round... Why dont you try some easyfill, though this will cost about £15 :LOL:

I've decided to have a bash at sorting it myself. So I've picked the loose bits of plasterboard off, sanded it down and then put 1000 grade lining paper over it, doesn't look too bad actually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back