RCD tripped and wont reset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just changed my board to a split load type and sockets were ok for maybe a minute then the rcd tripped and wont reset?? :rolleyes: changed the ring circuit to the non rcd protected side and its fine...any ideas???

cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i havent taken none...right ok

im an apprentice and i know i shouldnt be doing this but my mum asked if i would as we had an old rewireable type..i've done numerous boards in work with no problems...the guy i work with said he'd test it on monday to check everything was ok :cry: clearly its not...please help me out fellas?

but still now there is nothing at all on the split load side of the cu and it still will not reset :confused:...even with all power isolated....still will not reset....could it be a faulty rcd?? :confused:

i'd really appreciate some advice

thanks ;)

Well, if the RCD is tripping, you clearly have an earth leakage. Did you look to see if the RCD still tripped when the MCB was off? That will tell you if it is Phase/earth or Neutral/Earth.

Did you UNPLUG all appliances in the ring? That will tell you if it is a wiring/accessory fault or an appliance fault.

Did you try halving the ring? That will help you identify where the fault is on the circuit.

Presumably you have already had a visual search for damaged wiring or accesories, including rodent damage under floors, or water ingress, and have tried disconnecting any outdoor sockets or lamps on the circuit, which are at risk of collecting rainwater.

You have probably realised now why the Installation Certificate includes spaces for a lot of test results, and why replacing a CU is notifiable work. If you say you have done CU replacements at work I presume someone else has been doing the tests.

You promise your electrician is coming on monday?
Check you have all your circuits in the correct neutrals.

beaten by ch427!!

What was there before, I assume it did not have a RCD fitted.

You do have live and neutral from the meter the correct way round. How did move the tails while they were live ?

Do you have the neutral of the ring in the correct neutral bar in the CU

( CU = consumer unit )

If the neutral is in the correct neutral bar then un-plug everything from the sockets.

If the ring still trips the RCD then there is a fault in the wiring which you, together with an electrician with the necessary test equipment and knowledge, will have to find.

If the sockets work on the un-protected side then MAYBE you could leave them on there but in the knowledge that there is a fault.

1878 said:
...changed the ring circuit to the non rcd protected side and its fine...

1878 said:
...but still now there is nothing at all on the split load side of the cu and it still will not reset...

Talk me through that again?

(p.s. I agree about the Neutrals ;) )

Check you have all your circuits in the correct neutrals.

And make sure you have the neutral feeds connected to the correct busbar

bernardgreen said:
What was there before, I assume it did not have a RCD fitted.

You do have live and neutral from the meter the correct way round. How did move the tails while they were live ?

Do you have the neutral of the ring in the correct neutral bar in the CU

( CU = consumer unit )

If the neutral is in the correct neutral bar then un-plug everything from the sockets.

If the ring still trips the RCD then there is a fault in the wiring which you, together with an electrician with the necessary test equipment and knowledge, will have to find.

If the sockets work on the un-protected side then MAYBE you could leave them on there but in the knowledge that there is a fault.

no rcd before just a wylex old rewireable board..

yes i'm positive the neutrals are in the correct bar because at first all i had on the split load neautral bar was the ring circuit neutral which wer tested for continuity....as i said changed to unprtected side including neutrals and its running fine but the rcd will still not rest with nothing on that side??

JohnD said:
1878 said:
...changed the ring circuit to the non rcd protected side and its fine...

1878 said:
...but still now there is nothing at all on the split load side of the cu and it still will not reset...

Talk me through that again?

(p.s. I agree about the Neutrals ;) )

ok because i could not reset the rcd i put the ring circiut across to the non proctected side with my lights and immersion....everything has been fine for the last hour....

so with no load on the rcd side it should reset right? but it won't :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back