What silicone to use to seal my sink on a real wood worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a real oak worktop. when i sealed my sink with a clear silicone it doesnt really stick to the wood. obviosuly ive left it to dry, but even if the silicone is slightly touched or rubbed it comes away from the wood.

is it best to try a more expensive make of silicone or is there something else i can do?

the same applies to all round the edge of the worktop too, it comes away when touched/rubbed.

Sponsored Links
thronjim said:
i have a real oak worktop. when i sealed my sink with a clear silicone it doesnt really stick to the wood. obviosuly ive left it to dry, but even if the silicone is slightly touched or rubbed it comes away from the wood.

is it best to try a more expensive make of silicone or is there something else i can do?

the same applies to all round the edge of the worktop too, it comes away when touched/rubbed.

Try a low modulus silicone...screwfix do one for £2.80 ??? that sticks to most things :)

Agree,

Use a low modulus silicone. Takes longer to go off and smells funny but much better.

Tis what i always use...

Sponsored Links
Make it Dow-Corning, this brand is the very best shot! Have you oiled the wood prior to sealing, as this may be causing problems?

the guy at the trade place insisted on a high modulud one. i got some and its worked about 95% and is the best so far. yes the worktop has been oiled.

the silicone has stayed stuck everywhere but there is a small bit round the hob where it has stated to peel/bubble. i tried rubbing it on the back of the worktop as a test and it does rub off quite easily.

does this mean i should now go for a low modulus one then?

thronjim said:
does this mean i should now go for a low modulus one then?
Er, yes! but you may have permanently stuffed yourself by oiling the wood first, not much sticks to oil!

Just wondering,

Why did you bother to ask on here, then go and do the complete opposite of what people suggested to you ?

Its a strange world we live in.

Hi,
revitalising an old thread here, I hope some of you guys can help me. I am midway through installing an oak worktop and have a couple of knowledge gaps:

I understand I need to sand it - what grain sand paper is best? And how much sanding are we talking? A real scour or just a gentle rub over the surface? I have an electric sander - will this do the job ok?

Also one length that I am joining at right angles is slightly bowed and therefore doesn't match perfectly to the adjoining piece. What would you guys do in this situation? Sand the bow down a bit? I can't really join with biscuits

I have read somewhere that you need to seal cut edges before oiling and elsewhere that you just oil edges a lot - which option is better?

And lastly I read in previous posts to use a low modulus silicone but is it ok to use this after oiling the worktop?

Thanks a lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back