Toilet Cistern and Internal Overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, (again!!!)

Can you tell me if an Internal Overflow is part of the cistern itself (cast into the ceramic) or a function of a particular type of Siphon??

I have purchased a bathroom suite, the cistern is close coupled with all the holes i expected for a conventional siphon/overflow.

In the bag with the Internals is a blanking plug for the overflow hole (the instructions say to use this if you have an internal overflow).

Should i assume that the fittings are "universal" and that my cistern will not support an internal overflow

OR

That the internals that came with the suite are a cheap conventional set that i could replace with a more expensive siphon that has an internal overflow, and that i can do away with the external overflow pipe??

Any advice appreciated.

Regards Matt

Sponsored Links
It's part of the syphon and the best thing since sliced bread:cool:

It's part of the syphon and if water overflows if goes back into the pan through the same way the water empties from the cistern.

cheap or not it could still have an internal overflow, you can usually tell by a large pipe in the middle of the syphon above the water mark.

and yup best thing since sliced bread

Thanks LagerKhan,

you just made me a happy man....now all i have to do is hope the blanking plug won't leak.........LOL

Sponsored Links
Al cisterns internally overflow, it's just a questions of whether or not they do it before the water reaches another outlet, e.g. external overflow or handle hole. ;)

Larf!!!!!!!!

on a serious note, anyone recommend a particular brand/type??

Just so i can go to the Plumbers Merchants and not sound like a numpty to the man in the brown coat.....

Matt

Should i assume that the fittings are "universal" and that my cistern will not support an internal overflow

OR

That the internals that came with the suite are a cheap conventional set that i could replace with a more expensive siphon that has an internal overflow, and that i can do away with the external overflow pipe??

nope your cistern should support an internal overflow as all the above ppl have said,,and the internals that came with the suite shouldnt need to be changed unless it is faulty

In the bag with the Internals is a blanking plug for the overflow hole (the instructions say to use this if you have an internal overflow).

i had the same sort of instruction on a close coupled w.c that i fitted but the internal overflow worked fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back