Lagging of pipes under concrete floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a bungalow with an extremely uneven and out of level (concrete) kitchen floor, complete with unsightly heating pipes running along the skirting boards.

We are going to break up and replace the floor(for tiling) so will take the opportunity to replace the heating pipes and put new ones below the new floor.

My query is about insulating the pipes. For about 10ft all four pipes (2 rads in 10mm copper) will all run together. Do they need individually lagging or is it OK to bunch them together?(which would make it much easier to get them through an existing wall)

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can't see any reason to not bunch them together and cover in 28mm tubulsr hairfelt. Make sure they are all covered so concrete cannot touch any pipe work in copper.

Thanks gas4you.

Is hairfelt the old fashioned type of lagging which came in rolls which you wrapped around the pipes?

It sounds just like the old stuff I recently threw out! :LOL:

yes, but the tubular type is in fact a tube of it that just slides over pipes instead of having to wrap around pipe work. Only costs about £7 per roll, 21M long

Sponsored Links
Interesting to note the inappropriate use of hair felt lagging, and probably about the worse stuff you can use.

The floor screed is wet when layed and hair helt is not waterproof, it will not protect the copper pipe from the cement :eek:

All the tubular hairfelt I use has an inner liner made of polythene/plastic. Last time I check this wasn't porous :confused:

I could be wrong (it has been known) but i thought all pipes in floors had to be accessible, either ducts or pipe in pipe for plastic, except gas which you can wrap in denso tape and bury in the screed,(copper of course)

scaby said:
I could be wrong (it has been known) but i thought all pipes in floors had to be accessible, either ducts or pipe in pipe for plastic, except gas which you can wrap in denso tape and bury in the screed,(copper of course)

Only applies to Hot and Cold water services.

With doitall on this point we always wrap the pipe first then put the lagging on as although it does have a membrane in it, it is not completely water/cement proof

Thanks. I always assumed membrane was waterproof :rolleyes: I will certainley take on board both yours and doitall comments next time I lay heating pipes in screed. Yet again I've learn't something from here ;)

I agree that it is a very good product, but I dont kike the fact it is all odd sizes. Also around here they will only order a minimum of £150 worth at a time therefore I would not be using enough to order this amount :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back