Problems with Turbomax Plus 824/2E Vaillant boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there I was wondering if anyone might know what the problem is with my heating – it won’t turn off? Basically even though the thermostat is on zero the only way I can turn the heating off is to turn off the boiler all together – i.e. even the water. Even if I put the heating on timer or the off position the heating is still on constantly. Whilst I will get this looked at professionally I just wondered if anyone had any ideas as I can not get this looked at straight away as I’m going on holiday I just have never heard of this problem before.

Sponsored Links
I cannot think of any normal boiler fault on your model which would cause that problem.

The obvious thing to do first is to disconnect the thermostat and see if that puts the boiler off.

Tony

Thanks Agile - who would I need to call out to do that a plumber or is it just a case of unscrewing the thermostat and I can disconnect myself?

It means disconnecting live wires either at the wall thermostat or in the boiler...

Sponsored Links
Fauly diverter valve for time being turn off dhw pre-heat by turning dhw temp knob to min & light will go out (yellow i think) but when you run a hot tap you will notice rads will start to heat up until new div valve is fitted

Yes, but if the diverter was sticking in CH position then he would not have got reliable hot water.

It is the most common fault on that model though!

Perhaps he does not use hot water often?

Tony

At the moment the only problem I have got is that the heating is on all the time unless I turn off the boiler altogether and then turn it back on again. This said it seemed to be working OK last night - even by the thermostat (it was not working for 3 days prior to last night). Having said that we have had nothing but problems with this boiler I only moved in to house Nov and it has broke 3 times! The previous problem was with the hot water – it wouldn’t work at all. We had a plumber come around and he said he couldn’t see anything wrong – said it might be diverter valve but had to order part – it took a week but by then water just started working OK by itself. Then another problem we had was that we had no heating at all, once again plumber came around this time armed with a laptop and he ran through everything on the boiler and everything seemed to be working OK? It’s a mystery but I cannot afford to take anymore time off work had 4 days already and the boiler keeps going wrong.

If the diverter is sticking then that is uaually intermittent.

Perhaps yours is sticking and thats been the problem all along?

Its easy to identify because there are two possibilities!

DHW ok but no CH

OR

CH ok but get hot rads when you run a hot tap or have preheat on!

Its that last underlined condition which Weareleeds refered to. But that would be accompanied by no DHW.

Tony

Thanks Tony - One thing shouldn't that have shown up on the plumbers laptop? Thats why he didn't change it last time?

I dont see how a plumbers laptop could know if a diverter valve is sticking!

Unless he was moonlighting from British Gas I dont know where he would have got an interface cable/program from.

Tony

He plugged his laptop into the boiler - I must admit he showed me what he was doing and it was quite impressive. The program on his laptop showed him the boilers performance and fault history. He asked me to turn tap on and the computer showed a graph when the water went on the graph moved - likewise with the heating. It also showed things like the water pressure

Was he a Vaillant staff engineer?

I am not even sure that BG engineers get the program and interface.

It could not show water pressure as the boiler does not have a pressure transducer. All it could show was DHW water flow derived from the frequency of the aquastat output.

In any case, in spite of such an "impressive" program he was unable to identify your fault !!! LOL.

Even though I dont have one of those it does not make me feel at any disadvantage because I am sure that I can find faults on that model much faster than he could.

Like the one I went to last week he would not be able to identify which resistor on the PCB had failed as I could!

Tony

I set up my Vaillants with my laptop. I've got 2 programs and interfaces, 1 for new ecotec plus range and other for older range, ecomax and presumably turbomax then ;)

Hi there I was wondering if anyone might know what the problem is with my heating – it won’t turn off? Basically even though the thermostat is on zero the only way I can turn the heating off is to turn off the boiler all together – i.e. even the water. Even if I put the heating on timer or the off position the heating is still on constantly. Whilst I will get this looked at professionally I just wondered if anyone had any ideas as I can not get this looked at straight away as I’m going on holiday I just have never heard of this problem before.
i have a similar problem BG came out and fitted a new timer but this does not seem to have solved the problem. i know its been a while since this question was posted but did you resolve your problem and if so how ?

If BG fitted a part to resolve the problem and it did not fix it then surely you need to call them back again?

They have over 5000 engineers and i am sure that at least one of them could fix the problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back