oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to wire in a ceramic hob (rating plate states 6.5kw, max connected load power 5.8kw)and an oven rated at 2.5kw. Is it best to run (a run of approx 5m) a 10mm cable from a 45amp MCB on the consumer unit to a switched control unit, and then run 10mm cable from there to the terminal outlet box. From here I'm proposing to run one 10mm cable to the hob and one 10mm cable to a 13amp fused outlet for connection to the oven via a 2.5mm cable. Will all these 10mm cables fit into the outlet box, or can I use a junction box?

Sponsored Links
I think you will struggle to get 10mm wire into fcu terminals & it is a bit of overkill anyway, 4mm should be fine.

Thanks for that. Will 4mm be ok from the consumer unit to the FCU, for both oven and hob?

4mm² Method 1 is 36A max.

If you want to design the circuit to carry flc, that is insufficient. Why not run 10mm² (40A mcb) to a 2 way CU and run two separate circuits from there, a 32A in 6mm² for the hob (via an isolator OC) and a 16A in 2.5mm² for the oven?

This is notifiable BTW.

Sponsored Links
What is an "isolator oc" (when fitted between 2w control unit and hob)?

you'd think that the manufacturers might have cotton'd on to this as a modern problem for them to fix..

just make a cooker switch with a switched fused spur where the socket normaly is...

MK, if you're reading this, i want royalties when it catches on..

must be a market for it, just off this forum there are about 2 questions like this every day..

my new hob is gas, but needs a connection for the igniter i assume.
but i want to future proof it, so i'm gonna run 10mm cable backed by a 20Amp mcb.. ( 45 will be fitted if i ever move )

I will need a connection for the oven at 13 amps or so and the hob for the igniter, so i will be using a "twin" single fast fix box with unswitched sockets on both.. ( hob and oven both have plugs on.. )

ColJack said:
you'd think that the manufacturers might have cotton'd on to this as a modern problem for them to fix..

just make a cooker switch with a switched fused spur where the socket normaly is...

MK, if you're reading this, i want royalties when it catches on..

must be a market for it, just off this forum there are about 2 questions like this every day..

Sorry, but I've already got the patent on this invention ;)

ccuspur.jpg

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back