my brother's shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother has 10.5kW shower and it keeps on tripping the fuse. It has a 30A fuse and the 6mm cable is about 20m from the consumer unit. My Dad thinks that putting in a 45A fuse may be dangerous as he doesn't think the 6mm cable would be man enough to take such a current. Do you think that he will have to upgrade the cable to a 10mm one if he puts in a 45A fuse?

Sponsored Links
6mm² is rated at 46A so as long as the cable is not installed in thermal insulation anywhere, is not likely to be in ambient temps of >30c then fitting a 45A cartridge fuse or MCB will be ok.(I take it the shower is already protected by a 30mA RCD)

Under certain circumstances 6mm² is ok for 45A. The best solution though is to replace the cable with 10mm².

If you have a 30A fuse you most probably don't have RCD protection and an old consumer unit. Could you post some pictures?

Thanks, ricicle and Davy. I'll see if I can get a picture - of the consumer unit I assume?

Sponsored Links
CharlesM said:
I'll see if I can get a picture - of the consumer unit I assume?

Yup. Should give us an idea of whether it is suitable for such a load.

You've also got over 6V of volt drop (if my memory serves me well), depending on the voltage drop in the rest of the installation you are pretty close to the limit.

davy_owen_88 said:
You've also got over 6V of volt drop (if my memory serves me well), depending on the voltage drop in the rest of the installation you are pretty close to the limit.
Just curious davy_owen_88 - what's the effect of exceeding that limit?

It' isn't a problem for showers except they will warm the water a tiny bit less. But you will be exceeding the limit set by BS7671 so run for the hills :LOL:

davy_owen_88 said:
...run for the hills :LOL:
Um, excuse me being so naive, but is this because it would contravene a standard or because it would be dangerous (or both)?

It wouldn't be dangerous in the case of a shower but if the VD exceeds the 4% limit set out in BS7671 then you have failed to meet one of its 'rules' Motors are more susceptible to VD and can fail to start because of their high in-rush currents.

Sorry to keep going on about this, but what is the purpose of that rule?

ricicle said:
6mm² is rated at 46A so as long as the cable is not installed in thermal insulation anywhere, is not likely to be in ambient temps of >30c then fitting a 45A cartridge fuse or MCB will be ok.(I take it the shower is already protected by a 30mA RCD)

Or grouped or run in MT...

The problem is that for example if the shower heater element (or whatever the load is) is 10kW then at 240V it will use 41.7A, but if the cable run is too long the and the volts drop to say 220V then the current rises to 45.5A.

It only needs a VD of 8% to drop to 220V.

Rotor overheating can also occur in induction motors due to undervoltage.
I can't quite remember the exact explanation but I know the rotor currents have to increase to offset the fact that the flux is lower from the stator due to reduced voltage. (I can dig out the exact explanation if anyones sad enough to be interested)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back