Worcester bosch Greenstar 30CDi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will this combi boiler from worcester be suitable for a large 5 bed house. The house has 1 bathroom and 1 shower room both with thermo mixer showers. There will be between 5 - 7 people living in the house. Much appreciated anyone who can help.

Sponsored Links
The Greenstar 30CDi is suitable for a small/medium sized, 1 bath flat, apartment or house.

Thats from the worcester web site , so no its not suitable.

I would be looking at system boiler with an unvented cylinder if i was you.

Hi scatmanjohn - Bad news is it's already been put in. We spent a lot of money on the central heating system and expected it to do the job they said it would. The boiler has gone in today and I have only just seen it this afternoon. Do I need to tell the plumber to take it out and put in something else?? There is no space really for a cylinder (without studding off part of a bedroom) and a bit late in the day to be putting one in now.

Ooopss.

It will do the heating, no problem

You will see what i mean when you get a shower and someone decides to wash up or turn on the washing machine or run a hot tap,

The Greenstar 40CDi is suitable for a medium/large sized, 1 bath flat with ensuite shower, apartment or house.

Maybe that would be a bit better.

Give it a try, go run the shower whilst running a bath the kitchen sink, see what it performs like.

I'm always shouting down from my afterwork shower telling the missus to turn that bloody hot tap off , mines a 28kw combi

Sponsored Links
scoon said:
Will this combi boiler from worcester be suitable for a large 5 bed house. The house has 1 bathroom and 1 shower room both with thermo mixer showers. There will be between 5 - 7 people living in the house. Much appreciated anyone who can help.

Dont you think you should have asked the question BEFORE choosing a boiler?

Its totally unsuitable fot that application on account of its hot water output !

Did the "plumber" choose that? Is he a member of the Institute because they have a complaints procedure? Or is he totally unqualified? Does he even speak English?

I so often hear of these senarios! An inexperienced plumber short of work and an owner who thinks he knows better!

Tony

Fair comment we should of asked. We're doing a complete refurb and model of boiler wasn't thoroughly looked into, we just asked for a "top of the range" Worcester that would be suitable for the intended usage. The plumber is corgi. The company who subcontract the plumber are FMB and are project managing the whole thing.

System is not yet live so no way of testing it.

Would the 40cdi be adequate? Does anyone know if the 30cdi and 40cdi have the same layout for installation of pipework? (e.g would it be fairly straightforward to swap over?)

Whilst the boiler may not deliver a huge amount of HW, if you can manage the use such that you do not run more than one hot tap at a time, it will work.

If you are planning on running more than one hot appliance at a point in time it will not deliver what you want.

The 40CDi has the same pipe jig, so you could swap it easily. Whether the original gas supply pipe is large enough, or the 60/100 flue for the 30CDi is of a short enough length for the more onerous demands of the 40CDi, you will need to check for you application.

If we are getting the full story and the installer has cocked up in that he installed this combi after asking you full questions about your intended hot water usage and he recommended this boiler then I would say you are within your rights to ask him to replace it. Whether he will is a different matter. Unfortunately in your post we only get your side of the story and it is unfair for us to pass judgement from afar :rolleyes:

I would also have recommended the system boiler and unvented cylinder option

A sealed system boiler (expansion vessel and pump included with the box) and unvented hotwater cylinder is the way to go on a big property if supply can satisfy. Thats just my opinion.
But don't reap scorn on this innocent chap who is not a plumber so seeks the advice of one!
The plumber is corgi.
The general public think Corgi is the highest/greatest level of plumbing qualification??

I agree with you, but we don't know what questions were asked to op and what answers were given. I am just trying to keep open minded about it :)

We paid £6400 for complete central heating system - all brand new there was nothing in the house at all. This includes the boiler, thermostat, 8 single rads + the fitting of one towel rail which we supplied. The property is 3 stories and well insulated. Asked for a top of the range Worcester and copper piping throughout. First problem arose when we noticed plastic piping being put in, so asked them to replace it and reinstall copper. Maybe they thought they could make the money back from that mistake by downgrading the boiler I don't know.

We paid separately for the vanity plumbing and supplied the two mixer showers - he was given these over 2 months ago so knew exactly what was going in.

I appreciate your point and I'm not in to complaining or reporting people but do feel like we've been done over a bit.

I know Corgi just means he pays however much to have that accreditation to his name but generally speaking it means you're a qualified professional.. right?

Unfortunately CORGI is only concerned with the gas safety of gas appliances and gas pipe work ect. Just because you are a CORGI doesn't automatically mean you know about plumbing and heating, just how to install a gas appliance to regs and is safe :rolleyes:

generally there are 2 types of CORGI.

1. Trained plumbers who gain gas qualifications and do gas installations as well

2. gas engineers who are primarily trained in gas appliance fitting, gas pipe work and servicing & repairs.

group 1 probably don't do much servicing/repair work whilst group 2 would do next to no plumbng.

I personally am group 2 and never call myself a plumber as all my qualifications are gas & heating based.

The above points are of course a generalisation as some fitters do everything and are very good at it.

If you feel you had given the installer enough information about your heating and especially your hot water requirements then you should approach them about your concerns over the boiler size.

Combi boilers should always be installed/chosen by the end users hot water demands and not the heating demands, as usually most combi's are more than powerful enough to cope with most houses radiator systems etc.

If you`ve a project manager on site over seeing the works, he should have the details of your heating system. This should include heat loss calculations and proposed hot water requirements for the property. The price reflects the fact that the work was subbed out to another firm. But in my view, for 8 singles and a towel rail, it would make even gritish bas blush. Ask questions now before it`s too late. Once the system is fired up you`ll have a hell of a job getting them to change it. Whoever chose the system was either very much mis-informed, or choosing a very easy option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back