Overflow Pipe outside just started dripping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Hoping someone can attempt to identify the problem. I am certainly not a plumbing expert - most I have ever done is replacing taps and fitting an electric shower in my parents house.

Last night one of the overflows outside my house started dripping and this morning its still dripping (I say one as we have 3 next to each other on the exterior wall) The water dripping is cold - not sure if that helps!!?

After a bit of exploring I think the three are from the upstairs toilet, the hot water cylinder and the black box (cold water tank?)

I have checked the toilet its not that - water level is fine.
I have opened the top of the black box - the water level looks very low to me but not sure how high it should be! (when I lowered the ball and water came out - when I stopped pressing it stops) But water level is nowhere near the overflow.

So I assume that leaves the culprit as the hot water cylinder?

Am I right in thinking that?
What should I do?
Anything else I should check?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
asfar as i know hot water cylinders do not have overflows.

you yourself said the water is cold.

it may be the header tank for your hot water cylinder.

i suggest you follow the pipe backwards and see what it is connected to and then post back.

but do rememebr the pipe on the left outside will be the pipe on the right inside (assuming you are outside looking up, then inside looking out)

It looks like this:

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/3618/dripnv5.jpg

If perspective is the same.

Do you mean the pipes actually switch sides under the floorboards?

Is it safe to remove the plastic cover on the hot water cyclinder so I can check visually if its that - tried and didnt give so wondering if its sealed on there?

Thanks for you assistance by the way! :)[/url]

Sponsored Links
Jaarus said:
Do you mean the pipes actually switch sides under the floorboards?
[/url]
No, but anything on your left hand side from the outside will be on your right hand side from the inside (like a mirror)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back