Single eletric oven installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I would have certainly expected it to be but can't quite find a topic that covers this specific question.

Think I may have just screwed up an oven purchase. Have just replaced a gas hob/oven with a gas hob and electric single oven, intending to get myself an oven that I could plug into the ring main via a normal 13a plug. Having taken delivery of my AEG B1180-4 oven I find that there's nothing in the manual that directly indicates wattage (and cant find anything on the web (I stupidly believed the reassurance that it plugged straight in). Sadly I suspect that I may be looking at a new circuit after all.

It dooesn't have a plug or cable attached and the manual states it needs a 2.5mm2 cable and a 15-20amp fuse, which seems to imply that a conventional 13amp socket won't be up to it.

I'd be grateful if anyone could shed any further light on this - I find myself wondering whether a switched spur from the ring would do the job; but (its a small house and doesn't have a separate ring in the kitchen) have a nasty feeling that we are looking at a dedicated radial (and cooker switch/control) from the consumer unit - which I really didn't want to have to get into.

And guess that I need heat resisting cable in any case? Any ideas gratefully received.....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Cheers, guys - I was waiting on written confirmation from AEG following Securespark's comment.

I phoned AEG and still awaiting written confirmation, but the story so far is that they say it's a 3kw unit, and can be connected via a 13amp socket.

Have asked for confirmation as my manual seems to imply the opposite, and they have promised to email me a pdf of the manual that they say has now been updated and includes stuff that mine version doesn't, which confirms this.

However, still not rec'd. Assuming that it is 3kw - does that OK for the ring?

Yes.

A 13A fused plug can accomdate 3kW.

Appliances are usually designed to suit this (most single ovens in the UK market run about 10A).

Oven elements do not run a continuous load, as they cycle on and off by the thermostat once they reach temperature. Mine is generally up to temp with 10 minutes of switch-on.

Some unfortunate people live in countries without our wonderful ring-main and fused plug system, and will often need a separate circuit even for a single oven.

Thanks all - I'm feeling a bit silly as it looks as if I could have sorted this out with a call to AEG in the first place. What I still don't get though, is why in these circumstances the manual I have states that it needs a 15-20amp fuse? Unless it was just a "misprinted" manual that's now been superceded.

Still waiting for the pdf from AEG though, so not counting chickens just yet...

And as it's got no cable on it - will I need to source a heat resistant cable for the plug, or is that only an issue with highly rated applicances that throw more waste heat out of the back (energy efficiency anyone...)?

martint said:
Thanks all - I'm feeling a bit silly as it looks as if I could have sorted this out with a call to AEG in the first place. What I still don't get though, is why in these circumstances the manual I have states that it needs a 15-20amp fuse? Unless it was just a "misprinted" manual that's now been superceded.

It states this because in European countries, they dont use our wonderful 32 amp ring main system with 13 amp plugs. many countries use 16 amp radials. To plug a long-use 13 amp appliance into a 16 amp circuit in a kitchen would not be a clever thing to do, so they recommend a new radial from the distribution board, which would be 16 or 20 amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back