Wiring an outside light switch from an inside fused switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted five outside LED decking "up" lights looped together with 3 core length of flex.
(I tested that all was working OK by connecting a plug to them and plugging them in).
I now wish to connect these to an outside switch (instead of a plug) and power them by taking a link from an inside "fused" point. (This fused point currently powers the dishwasher and the switch remains on at all times).

Could someone please confirm I am correct in my assumption of the following wiring process:-
1. The live wire from the outside lights connects to one of the terminal points in the outside switch.
2. The blue wire from the outside lights get connected with the blue wire from the inside 'spur'.
3. The earth from the outside lights gets connected with the earth wire from the inside 'spur'.
4. The live wire from the inside spur then connects to one of the other terminal points in the outside switch to complete the connection?

Sponsored Links
You need a new FCU with a 3Amp fuse in it. No doubt your dishwasher has a 13A fuse. In the event of a fault (and outdoor circuits are prone to damage from rain penetration, impact, birds and mice eating them) 13A could be enough for the lighting cables to get hot and burn your house down before the fuse burnt out.

It is preferable to fit the new FCU from a handy socket that is not in the kitchen, since dangers and regulations are more severe in kitchens due to the presence of water and pipes, and you would be required to pay for an inspection or have it fitted by a suitably qualified electrician.

If you think you might ever be tempted to change this circuit to an outdoor socket, buy and fit an RCD FCU (unless the ring is already RCD protected). This will also give you protection if you handle or touch the lighting cables or lamps and there damage to them.

Are you fitting the switch outside the house ?

If so are you aware that it needs to be a weather proof switch ?

bernardgreen said:
Are you fitting the switch outside the house ?

If so are you aware that it needs to be a weather proof switch ?

Yes I am fitting the switch outside of the house. I am aware that it needs to be a weather-proof switch. It is a plastic mounting with a rubber cover over the switch.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
You need a new FCU with a 3Amp fuse in it. No doubt your dishwasher has a 13A fuse. In the event of a fault (and outdoor circuits are prone to damage from rain penetration, impact, birds and mice eating them) 13A could be enough for the lighting cables to get hot and burn your house down before the fuse burnt out.

It is preferable to fit the new FCU from a handy socket that is not in the kitchen, since dangers and regulations are more severe in kitchens due to the presence of water and pipes, and you would be required to pay for an inspection or have it fitted by a suitably qualified electrician.

If you think you might ever be tempted to change this circuit to an outdoor socket, buy and fit an RCD FCU (unless the ring is already RCD protected). This will also give you protection if you handle or touch the lighting cables or lamps and there damage to them.

Thanks for the advice JohnD.
I think I will fit a new FCU with a 3amp fuse as suggested.
Apart from that though - am I correct in my wiring assumptions?

The FCU will have P+N terminals marked "Supply" and "Load"

And one for the Earth wires, that might be marked with a Christmas Tree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back