Bubbly Wallpaper...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a four-bedroomed house to wallpaper, top to bottom. We started last week but despite our best efforts the wallpaper is bubbly.

The obvious answer is to put lining paper on first, but it's a big job as it is when compared with the time we've got to do it, and this would seem to be doubling our effort.

Is there any other option? We're short of time so any suggestion would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Warning- I'm not a pro at all but I had a similar problem as I didn't prep the walls properly (well, at all really..!) and it ended up a bit messy- sowing up all the imperfections in the wall.

What I did was simply to sand the walls and use polyfilla (the finishing one) to skim the uneven bits. I then sized the walls with the wallpaper paste & let it dry before papering. Much better results. I reckon for a non expert like me it was quicker than lining paper but still took a while. I guess it depends what you mean by bubbly though.

Andy.

depends how bubbly it is?

some bubbles will dissappear with time as the paper dries out properly,

if i get the odd bubble after papers dried then i have used 2 methods
depending on what type/pattern of paper

1) slice bubble with a razor blade and get a small brush to get some paste in behind.

2) use a needle and syringe and inject some paste into the bubble.
be careful you dont squirt too much in as you can end up with a bubble full of wet paste!

but normally i dont get any bubbles :rolleyes:

your other option if its really bubbly is to start again and prepare walls properly.
did you size walls ?

Sponsored Links
Paste the wallpaper and leave to soak for a while, normally about 5 mins depending on wallpaper.

I like to emulsion my walls after repairing any cracks or holes. It highlights any remaining defects, gives a flat colour with no patches to show through, and gives a non-dusty non-grabbing surface that I find easy to work on. It also means that if there is a delay before doing the papering (I am very slow and lazy) the room doesn't look unsightly.

But I understand some pro decorators don't approve :(

It's bubbly rather than bumpy. We haven't sized the walls on account of the fact that we've never heard of it and don't know what it is.
:oops:

I think the best thing for the existing pieces is to use the razor blade trick. After that maybe we'll 'size' the walls. Err, can anyone say what this is? Is it something to do with pasting them..?

Theres a few different types of 'bubbles'..

Lumps of paste behind the paper..caused by not mixing it properly.

Roundish bubbles cause by not brushing the paper out enough

And long thin bubbles..caused by not letting the paper soak for loang enough

Biggish round bubbles caused by existing paper on the walls lifting beneath

Bubbles coused by paint blowing underneath..normally smallish ones

What do you have?

They are all curable one way or another

Zampa said:

That's curable then! We're probably rushing and not letting the paste soak in. Maybe we should paste a couple of pieces at a time and let one soak while we hang the other.

Thanks again for your help.

2520years said:
Zampa said:

That's curable then! We're probably rushing and not letting the paste soak in. Maybe we should paste a couple of pieces at a time and let one soak while we hang the other.

Thanks again for your help.

Would reading the hanging instructions be out of the question? :LOL:

rtfm.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back