replacing a barrel lock on a UPVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Eh up DIY'ers,

I am watching some barrel locks on ebay at the moment as i would quite like to change my front door lock. I understand that there is a fixing bolt, which I can see in my current f/d. Is it really that simple to just undo the fixing bolt and take the lock out? is it tricky to insert a new one (get things to line up etc?) if i take it out, will i be stuck without security untill i can get a lock smith out LOL!

I see that they are different lengths, i am hoping to take my old one out then measure it, to buy a new one.

Any advice about makes to buy or avoid? a lot on ebay are very cheap and do not mention manufacturing names.

{a side though, i will probably get it sent to work so that my address is not given to man selling me the lock!}

Last question:

My back door looks the same (lock wise) but it locks in a different way. Front door requires a key turn to lock. But back door locks when handle is pushed up. Is this a different type of barrel lock or can you adjust them to lock in different ways.

I would ideally like one which locks automatically every time, but does not require a key to unlock from inside.

All help gratfully recieved.

Ill go take a few pictures..

I would also like to replace the whole handle assembly, but have not seen one on Ebay yet.

PS, do i need to get a fenser cirt if i buy and fit a whole new front door from Wickes?

please note forum rules, general information, item g

Sponsored Links
replacing the cylinder is that easy, retaining screw out, push cylinder out, put new one in, retaining screw back in. best to measure current one, put back in, then off you go to buy new one :)

as for makes, i'm no expert, ones in my doors are winkhaus which are known to be pretty good.

Thanks for the hlp Diy_for_fun.

Can anybody answer the question about why my back door has a different locking action to the front please?

Lynda, I do not understand your moderation comment. You have removed my photo - why?

Yarn said:
Can anybody answer the question about why my back door has a different locking action to the front please?
Every doors, locks & manufacter are all difference or improving as time goes on.

Sponsored Links
Barrels are pretty basic things, names are one thing (winkhaus, furh, yale, avocet) are all good industry names but a barrels a barrel at the end of the day, get a same size one, measure the end to the middle of the black lever (different profiles have different centres) and jobs done.

The lock came out with ease!

I realise now that the locking action of my UPVC doors are part of the door itself. The action of the door handle is the thing that unlocks the door (removes the dead bolts) and the cylinder lock only prevents the door handle being lowered.

The-brickie makes a good point that some of these lockes have an uneven centre hole. In the DIY shop they are often quoted as length from one end to center hole and then rest of length, i.e. 35 / 40 for a 75mm cylinder with a slightly offset center hole.

I personally need a 45/45.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back