BG strike again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs BB's parents have a BG homecare arrangement which provides them with annual safety check/minor servicing.

BG guy has left a note saying "NCS - internal flue around wall not sealed".

Turns out the boiler wasn't installed correctly, guess who did the install - yup! BG!!

The hole in the kitchen wall is a bit of a sore point. They have been arguing with BG to come and re-instate this from when the install was carried out - the hole is much bigger than you would expect for fitting a flue (took out approximately 500mm square hole and only part patched it up with a bit of loose brick and a lot of foam filler).

Just another example of how you can't always trust those who you should be able to...

Sponsored Links
If you can see daylight from inside to outside then thats classed as At Risk !!! The foam is not permitted either!!!

They can complain to CORGI who will send an inspector to see it. But dont tell them it was BG at first.

They will then serve a defects notice and require the installer to correct it at their cost.

Too much of that kind of thing from BG. I reported a non sleeved gas pipe fitted by BG and when they sent their man to see it he called me and was really quite rude to me but refused to tell me his name!

Tony

As far as I'm aware the internal flue should not be sealed to the wall!. What make / model is it?, it may just need the rubber seal.

ollski said:
As far as I'm aware the internal flue should not be sealed to the wall!. What make / model is it?, it may just need the rubber seal.

I agree with you technically that as long as its gas sealed, normally on the outside to be weather tight, then the gas safety aspect is covered.

But my CORGI inspector disagreed and wanted BOTH sides sealed even though I had the rubber gasket on the inside. He slightly backed off when I disagreed with him. I told him it was NOT a manufacturer's requirement but he still insisted that it was good practice and he expected me to seal it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
agile wrote

But my CORGI inspector disagreed and wanted BOTH sides sealed even though I had the rubber gasket on the inside. He slightly backed off when I disagreed with him and told him it was NOT a manufacturer's requirement but still insisted that it was good practice.

have to agree with tony on this one my corgi inspector pulled me about it as well.he too backed down when asked to put it in writing or show me where it states in the mi's/gsiur

I'm not talking rubber gaskets, I'm talking 4" gap round edge of flue duct.

I've always assumed that both internal and external walls be sealed, if one fails then you still have the other. Nothing wrong with foam filler as long as it is the fire retardent/rated type.

if I can see daylight I always ID it.

BoxBasher said:
I'm not talking rubber gaskets, I'm talking 4" gap round edge of flue duct.

If its a large gap and the installer will not fix it as a matter of urgency then report it to CORGI !

They dont treat it as urgent but come to have a look 10-12 days later.

You would think that if they were serious about gas safety they would come within 24 hours.

Tony

Nothing wrong with foam filler as long as it is the fire retardent/rated type.

Quite agree. Sticks well, seals well, easy to remove.

agile wrote
"But my CORGI inspector disagreed and wanted BOTH sides sealed even though I had the rubber gasket on the inside. He slightly backed off when I disagreed with him and told him it was NOT a manufacturer's requirement but still insisted that it was good practice. "

Bripl wrote
"have to agree with tony on this one my corgi inspector pulled me about it as well.he too backed down when asked to put it in writing or show me where it states in the mi's/gsiur"

Agree with you both. I get ever so cross when corgi inspectors want to make up their own rules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back