What would make a light flicker when using dimmer switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It only does it at very low voltage? faulty dimmer? wrongly wired?

It replaced a one way light switch, two live's to common and one to L2, the blues in a connector block.

I wired the 2 live's in common to wavy line with the arrow through it, and the L2 to the L2 on the dimmer. Left the blues as they are.

Earth to the metal switch plate.

Just wanted to make it was wired safely TBH.
Cheers
Ben

Sponsored Links
Wiring sounds fine. What is the load (Watts) and what type of bulb?

It a common run of the mill bayonet 60 watt bulb mate - its a cheap one though free with the house (new build).

It may be a faulty dimmer switch ie a component value may be out of spec causing only half the output triac to gate at low levels hence flicker as only half wave output is driving the lamp.

Sponsored Links
Try a higher wattage Lamp i.e 100w. Ive had dimmers flicker before when the wattage of the lamp(s) are not high enough admittedly 60w should be ok though. The recommended wattage is usually stamped on the back of the dimmer.

I'm with jal1971.

One of ours flickers when there is not enough load on it.

Turn it up a bit or put a bigger bulb in.

[/quote]

quick update, replaced the dimmer and its much much better. :D
Still flickers though on a very very (almost off) power setting.
Cheers for the help.
Ben

Hmmmm...
Can someone clear up why the original poster has two lives to common,a live to L2 and a neutral in a connector block,when its a one way lightswitch?.
Think i may have missed something here :oops:

festa said:
Hmmmm...
Can someone clear up why the original poster has two lives to common,a live to L2 and a neutral in a connector block,when its a one way lightswitch?.

This appears to be system where the live is looped around the switches instead of the roses. And neutral is looped around the roses.

Common has live feed in and live feed forward to next switch.

Live in L2 is switched live to lamp.

Neutral is not needed but if twin and earth was use to bring earth to the switch the black needs to be terminated.

Ah yes ....the good old switch feed :eek:
One top way to save cable lengths (and money)!.
Nice one bernard :LOL: .
If the neutrals are looped around at the ceiling rose and the lives at the switches does that mean the wiring in this installation will have no sheath for protection and only rely on the insultation of the conductors for protection against direct contact?

Ahh .....metal conduit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back