Baxi Combi 80e HW Probs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a baxi combi 80e, couple of years old. The CH is working fine the problem is with the HW. I turn on the HW the light comes on, and the boiler fires up. The water slowly heats up and the temp LEDs go up to the top. The water runs hot for about 30 sec and then the flame shuts off and the water runs cold for a couple of mins. Then once its cooled down a bit the flame comes back on for another min and so on. I've changed the HW temp sensor(as it was cheap) just to see if it improved things.
I've been told it could be the plate exchanger has furred up and needs replacing. Has anyone got any more suggestions?

Sponsored Links
nope

it will be the DHW heat exchanger blocked

dont you trust the chap who said this?

Thanks for getting back so quick.

It's not that I don't trust him. He told me that the part would cost approx £200. Which I know would cost more like £40.

Sort of made me doubt his advise!

No chance its the diverter valve?

listen fool its the plate h/e pay the money and stop looking on net 4 cheap parts that will only last u a week at best :evil:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help!

I'm not looking on the web for cheap parts, I just want to get the right part.

Whats the problem with that?

The pukka Baxi part is remarkably cheap, as it appens. Perhaps he was thinking of other makes where an almost identical thing does nudge £200.

Sometimes this problem is exacerbated by a wrongly setup gas valve which goes off, instead of low - make sure it's checked.

Tommi said:
I've changed the HW temp sensor(as it was cheap)

It seems that you do want to do everything on the cheap!

I have dreadful thought that "this fellow" may have come and diagnosed the fault totally free of charge just so that you can replace it yourself and stuff him!

It certainly sounds as if it is the HE blocked.

Why not do the cheaper repair and get him to clean it for you? Or clean it yourself but PLEASE do make a payment to him for the time he has spent visiting you.

This is why I am so disapointed about those people who come and diagnose faults free. To cover their costs they have to overcharge for fixing to make up for people who take advantage of them and DIY after the fault has been diagnosed for them free! At least we always charge for diagnosing faults and then we fit any parts required free.

Tony

Going to an Elm LeBlanc GVM420 tomorrow - diagnosis will be chargable since there is zero chance of getting spares - the customer is willing to pay for the slim chance I'll get it going again.

You should always charge for diagnosis Geoff !

I have an old Elm in a garden if you needed a solid part. Problem is they are a special PRV not available elsewhere.

All the 2-3 I have seen were thermocouple problems and fixable!

Tony

Hi Tony

You've got the wrong end of the stick. A mate of my'n who is a landscape gardener has the same bolier and has had a similar problem in the past. He mentioned to me that his had been the HE.

I'm having someone in to relocate my boiler in a couple of months, so I was just seeing if it was a major problem or if something could be done in the mean time.

Thanks anyway.

Hi All,
I have a Baxi Combi 80e. CH works fine, but the HW won't fire up unless the CH is on. I've read through these posts that suggest the h/e plate might be blocked. I've just removed this and can't see any obvious problems - having not seen one before I've nothing to compare it to. What/where would be blocked? on the h/e or the pipes. It certainly let out some water when I drained it!

I've put it all back together and it hasn't fixed the problem. Any other areas that could be causing this problem?

1. start your own new thread

2. did you use a de scaling agent on the plate hex?

I didnt use anything. I simply took out the h/e gave it a shake and a blow and put it back. there wasn't any visible corrosion or anything like that on the outer casing. How can I tell if it's blocked?

to the left of the button you clicked that said Post Reply, is a button that says New Topic

hit that and type out all your boiler problems, and what you have done, so far , in trying to rectify

I also need to change this component , I have tried three gas fitters that are all too busy to help me. I am handy and as it doesn't involve touching the gas or flue I am thinking of doing it myself.

All three gas fitters have tried to sell me a whole new system for between 1750 and 2400,

The boiler is only 5 years old !! Water is very hard and I know that it's the plate heat exchanger blocked.

As far as I can see there are only two screws holding the part in, any advice please ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back