Radiator clanking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fairly old steel panel double convector radiator which has started to make an awful racket. The system runs off a Gloworm Spacesaver 45-60. This radiator does not have a TRV fitted. Am I right in thinking this noise is probably being caused by a piece of corroded loose debris? If so, can it be flushed out or is it time for a new rad?

Sponsored Links
A rad is a passive thing with water flowing through it!

Its difficult to imagine what you problem is.

Usually its a TRV rattling but you dont have one!

Surely you can get an idea of where the noise is coming from?

Tony

If the noise is definitely coming from this old rad and I can't see why it should so suddenly, I would suggest taking it off and go out side and flush it through with a garden hose. Also check your rad valves for blockages.

This would be my first step. There's always a possibility that it is coming from somewhere else. have you had any alterations recently?

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
If the noise is definitely coming from this old rad and I can't see why it should so suddenly, I would suggest taking it off and go out side and flush it through with a garden hose. Also check your rad valves for blockages.

This would be my first step. There's always a possibility that it is coming from somewhere else. have you had any alterations recently?

Thanks for the suggestions. I had two new rads fitted in a new conservatory in 2004 with an in-line TRV, although the system has been on a number of times since then with no problems. Initially I thought it could be the wheelhead/lockshield values but it actually sounds like the noise is coming from the bottom of the radiator itself. I'll follow your advice and flush it out on the lawn.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back