Best way to recess plug sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What’s the best way to flush mount plug sockets into a solid wall? Is there a special tool I can perhaps hire or is it just a case of chiselling out with a hammer the size of the backing box? Also are they any reasons I shouldn’t do this like reducing the overall strength of the wall?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The best thing that I have found for chopping out sockets is an apprentice ;)

Failing that, I use a lump hammer and a selection of a cold chisel, scutch chisel and sash knife. I also have an SDS chisel bit for my drill which often comes in quite handy.

I have tried a few different box chopping attachments for my drill, but find the traditional method to be the best :cry:

I genenally do similar to RF, I mark around the box on the wall (remember its quite a bit smaller than the socket!), then with a hammer drill with depth stop (or I put a bit of elec tape on the bit) gang drill around the sides to the correct depth, and then I get the chisels out (sometimes put holes in the middle as well if hard wall)

I use the same method - drill corners etc

On hard brick I use SDS with chisel.

I also finish off using a 3" bolster to ensure good fit

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this. I’m going to have a go at this tomorrow, hate to think how long it’s going to take as I have two doubles and a single socket to do! I guess drilling all the way round the marking of the box makes sense before chiselling it out. I’ll update with how it went!

Two doubles and a single should take about 20 mins if you hit the chisel hard enough ;)

RF Lighting said:
Two doubles and a single should take about 20 mins if you hit the chisel hard enough ;)

And two hours if you hit your thumb in anyway....

Do wear eye protection as the bits do fly straight to the face.

i must be lazy,i stick to the sds chisel.

it aches me arms else. :cry:

:LOL:

Has anyone else here used a box sinker before?

I use it to save time and find it effective. Although if the wall is very hard then a series of holes and a chisel is often quicker.

My apprentice just tells me to 'f**k off' if I ask him to do anything that creates dust. :evil:

Agree with Davy.... i bid for the Armeg box sinker off Ebay...tried it twice and it was back on Ebay a week later.
I,like others use a lump hammer and cold chisel but find my old wood chisels tops for tarting up the edges.
SDS hammer drill with chisel bit for the main chasing of recess` in hard stuff .

Lump hammer, scutch chisel, bolster. It's the only way.

Chopped in 9 single-gang boxes and 4 two-gangs in a little over an hour today. And that's in rock-hard, triple-baked, Middleton brick! (RF knows what I mean.)

I, too, have a box-sinker in the shed. It takes longer, makes more mess and it's another bit of kit to lose/break/trip over... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back