Baxi 105e Humming sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Baxi 105e has started to make a low pitch humming sound when the heating or hot water is on. The sound is continuous and can be heard throughout the house. I dont think it is a Kettling noise as the noise is very low pitched.

Sponsored Links
I know where there is a 105 instant that is whistling and a 105 that is banging,if we put them together we might get a decent tune from them. :evil:

I did wonder if it could be the fan, it only now seems to make the noise when the hot water is on,..............sometimes its ok. I wonder it it sounds like a noise from something inside the fan maybe.

Sponsored Links
With front case off put screwdriver to pump and other end to ear. Is this where the noise is loudest? If not you can use this method to trace noise!

I'll bet you will be buzzin' when you find the source. :LOL: :LOL:
Use your 'listening stick' screwdriver to check out the gas valve as well while you are at it.

An update to the problem.
British Gas (service contract) came to look over the boiler with two of their TSM's. After a couple of hours they came up with accidental solution of restricting the cold pressure going into the bar mixer shower and the noise seemed to go away. In fact it is still their, mainly on the shower when it has been running for a while. They also changed the seals in the diverter valve ass'y to cure a leak.
The noise now only comes on with the DHW and mainly on the shower, we have changed the shower to a Triton bar mixer and no difference. Dropped the DHW temp on the guage on the boiler, still no difference.
Any ideas? I am thinking of paying for Baxi to come and look it over or even buy one of their Platinum boilers with the 5 year warranty.

tuppa said:
Platinum boilers with the 5 year warranty.

Subject to terms and conditions ie installed 100% by the book and fully serviced each year and at the discretion of Baxi.

Another installer told me all this had been done and Baxi accepted the heat exchanger had failed (and agreed to swap out the boiler) but took so long to arrange the swapout the customer had no choice but to have another boiler installed from a different manufacturer - the 5 year warranty was worthless.

If you are seriously looking to change go for a Vaillant. Only 2 year full warranty but will you need it :rolleyes:

I'm sure baxpoti on here could cure it or point you in the right direction ;)

I hope someone can help, this is driving me mad. But tonight, it didnt make the noise..............?????? Sometimes it does and sometimes not.......????????

It could be that you need a shock arrestor fitting. For the cost involved its got to be worth a try. Once upon a time all combis had them as standard.

See page 12 of the MI's

Just a bit more information, when the water turns off a sound can be heard for a couple of seconds,........... but this may be normal. I am just trying to get as much info to narrow it down, I have to then convince british gas as dont dare touch the boiler. I would be terrified of doing something wrong in it.

Gasguru said:
but took so long to arrange the swapout the customer had no choice but to have another boiler installed from a different manufacturer - the 5 year warranty was worthless.

Why on earth swap a boiler instead of fix it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back