Studding up a doorway & tiling over - best way to do it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've converted our bathroom to one complete room from the two rooms it was before.

I'll now be studding up one of the doorways, and it's 99% likely there will be a shower installed on that wall.

Normally I would do the studwork and then plasterboard, but is there a better material/method to use for a surface I'll be tiling onto?

If I skim the plasterboard does it need to be left for so many weeks before it can be tiled over?

Sponsored Links
Hi Hallsy,i've just done a small downstairs shower room and used Aquapanel board on a studded wall which will have a shower fitted to it.The board is about 12.5 mm thick and made of concrete so is 100% waterproof (so they say).All the joints need to be taped,but you can tile straight onto it.Saves a lot of time and money.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be contrary, but Aquapanel can be cut with a stanley knife.

It's quicker, but the board doesn't break as evenly as plasterboard so I'd still recommend sawing. Just buy a cheap saw as it will be useless after using it to cut cement boards.

Also don't forget to tank the shower area.

Thanks, I have seen tanking mentioned before. What is it exactly? Like a waterproof sealant type thing?

Yup, I'm sure the more experienced guys wuill be able to tell you better than I, but here goes.

I've just done my shower at home using a BAL kit from Topps Tiles

You get everything you need in the box; primer, tape, matting and the tanking liquid.

You "paint" it on, leave it for 24 hours and then you can tile over it. It doesn't dry solid, more like a rubbery consistency so that the water that gets through the grout (no grout is 100% water-proof) will still find its way to the drain (and not the ceiling of the room below).

I was a tanking virgin and managed it no problems (I did have to order some extra tape though - but if you're just doing walls you could cut the mat into strips).

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back