Painting HELP...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys n Gals,

Heres the story...

Yesturday we decided to start painting the Kitchen... It was a horrid red colour, and the last room in the house that we hadnt touched....

On went the First coat of White, hardly covered....... a few hours later, the second coat went on..... again hardly covered... and could be wiped off back to the red very easily.

Anyways, I awake today to find my Partner (God Bless her) had been busy while i was asleep. She stood in the kitchen, big smile on her face, and every wall was white.... and i mean white.....no sign of the red....

HOW THE? WHAT THE ? ETC ETC....

She proceeded to tell me what she had done..... She went out to the Shed, found a big old tin of White gloss undercoat, and covered the walls with it.... OMG...

Right, im not sure now what we can do here, maybe my first thaughts that its gonna be a real pain to sort out are out of context, but...I thaught id ask the question here.

1, Whats your thaugths on this...

2, Can this undercoat be emulsioned over?

3, How long do you guys think it will take for a thick covering of gloss undercoat to dry, ready for re-painting.

Help, and advice would be great guys n gals.... Im just hoping this hasnt caused us a lot more work in the long run.... but ill leave that to you to tell me....

Cheers, and i look forward to some replies on this rather stressfull matter..

Rgds

M.A.

Sponsored Links
First question...

Whats 'gloss undercoat'?

Get this bit straight and we will be able to help you out I reckon.

as in undercoat for gloss painting.....

as it says on the tin..... "This undercoat is specialy formulated to be used as an undercoat to gloss paints on most surfaces"

Right got you now..

Ok..You were probably using a non vinyl contract emulsion before, that would explain why it comes off when washed over.

What you wife done by painting over it with undercoat is risky..because that sort of emulsion is porous and could affect the adhesion, however..I reckon youll be ok..

Leave it a couple of days to cure a little more and then give it a rub down with 100 grade aluminium oxide paper (the green stuff) then carry on wth the emulsioning..this time make sure you use VINYL matt.

Oil based paint has a different structure to normal paint and needs longer to chemically cure..as its curing its also shrinking microscopically...it you painted over it with somethng as brittle as a emulsion it could cause the top caot to flake off..

Think of it as painting a balloon and the balloon the undercoat..as the ballon goes down (shrinks) the paint on the top will flake off.

And I reckon your mrs deserves a bunch of flowers and a kiss.. :)

Sponsored Links
It was Vinyl Matt emulsion that was used to start with, like i said first coat, hardly covered, second wasnt much better, and could be wiped off.... we let that dry over night, then the following morning, it got painted over in Undercoat, which covered everything, but all i want now it to paint over this undercoat.... guess ill leave it a few days to dry prior to going any further with it

Strange that a vinyl matt washed off so easily..that normally points towards a contract matt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back