blockage in hotpoint ariston wd420 1200 spin w/d

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AAAARRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!
:D Hi folks
washer was not draining properley last night 11.30pm thought I`ll look at it tomorrow!!! Bad mistake, even though the machine was off when I got up this morning the whole thing was full,and I mean full of water.I drained this by gravity through the grey waste pipe and removed the pipe by what I think is the pump at the bottom? Found the dreaded large fluff ball blocking the pipe just after a black flap coming from what I think is the pump! After putting it all back and drying everywhere I`m going to leave it to dry properley before doing anymore but my question is why ,even if it had fluff blocking the water exit did the machine fill up with water when it was`nt on and should not have been drawing water from the pipes.I can understand why no water could get out but not why it went in??? I have dissconected the water pipes for now to stop it filling again whilst I`m at work. Any opinions to whats wrong? HELP

Sponsored Links
hi folks
I`ve had a chance to read the FAQ and cures so have spotted what my problum is likley to be,the inlet valve!!! Will check it tonight to see if its blocked and if I can clear it. If not will try to buy a new one and replace it.

There is an easy test which will let you know if it is the valve and if so which one it is, follow these steps.

1. Reconnect hoses.
2. Removed dispenser drawer and get a torch.
3. Turn on hot valve under sink and shine torch into dispenser to see if you see and drips.
4. Turn off hot valve.
5. Turn on cold valve and check again.

This will let you physically see if there is any letting by from the valves and will also tell you which one it is.

The main causes for this problem are any roadworks in the area which let grime into the supply and your hot water is too hot, both of these things will damage the diaphram in the valve and cause it to fill when off.

hi
Wow top tip scotsman thanks very much,looks to me like its the single valve hot water inlet which should cost between £15/20 as oppose to the 4 way valve which would cost me £30/40. Off to the parts shop today to see if they have one,put it back together and hope all is well. When I found the obstruction (ball of fluff) by the pump I thought that this was probabley it,I did`nt undo the sump pipe it looks a bit of a pig to get off and when you squeeze it water comes through the pump so I`m hoping that its clear,do you think I need to take it off to check or run the machine and see?
thanks ranch.:D

Sponsored Links
It is unusual for the sump to block, i would put it onto a short fill, reset and then set program to drain but it should be ok.

:D :D :D :D yippee
Fixed it guys

Put it all back together this morning and hey presto all is fine!!!!
Just hope it stays that way. Thanks to everyone who offered help and opinions, without you I could not have done it. The sense of achievement when you repair something yourself is great. Off to do some DIY now whilst in the mood!!!
Thanks again
ranch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back