Fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to atempt to erect a six foot feather edge fence to border my property. I have never put up a fence before, although I am quite handy. Could anyone give me any tips, or solutions to any problems that they have encountered in the past.
Cheers Kev
P.S. The fence is 25m long

Sponsored Links
First you put in your starting fence post (just plumb it up and strut it in place for now in the hole you have dug) and your last fence post (same again) and then string a line between the two.This gives you a point to work to so the fence will be straight.Then cut a piece of timber the same length as your fence panels to use as a measure (easier than using a fence panel everytime).Then using your measuring stick dig your holes at the correct intervals for your posts.Set your posts in and plumb them up and strut them as before.Check alignment with your string line and set them in concrete continually checking with a level.and make sure the measuring stick still fits between,top and bottom.As a rule you want to have about a third of the post below ground but this can depend on things like length of fence , material used, (i.e solid panels or slatted) exposure to wind etc...It is worth taking the time to get the posts spot on because one wrong post will throw the others out as you go up.Invest in a post level which is a right angle flat piece of plastic with levels on both faces that you just hold against the corner of a post and it will save a lot of messing about trying to hold a level straight.Costs around a fiver and well worth it.You don't say if it is on flat land or a slope but if it is on flat land after setting your end posts run a second string line to the top of them and use a line level to get them right and all the rest of the posts just need to touch the line to be correct.On a slope you will need to calculate the distance ( 25 metres ) and work out the difference in height between post [a] and post [z] and divide it by the number of panels to determine the amount of step each panel has.For example ... Post [a] is 800 mm higher than Post[z] and you have 10 panels. 800mm divided by 10 = 80mm. Each panel steps down 80mm from the previous. Hope this info is some use to you and Good luck.

Where can I get a large tube cutter to cut end posts? Also, how to hang drive gates on a slope. One gate is lower than the other and I can't seem to get them to match the slope of the fence and to meet in the middle?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back