How to Install a Really Secure front Door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to replace my inside front door. At the moment it's a lightly-constructed internal door with minimal locks. The surrounding wall is a breeze block cavity wall.

As there have been a number of burglaries in my area, I want to have a new door and frame put in that are thoroughly solid. I'm thinking in terms of a hardwood frame, and a solid hardwood door. The frame will be deep-bolted into the brickwork. I plan to have 2 5-lever mortice locks 1/3 and 2/3 of the way up. I also intend to reinforce both the lock side of the door and the corresponding section of the frame with strips of steel.

Is this the best way to do it, or is a steel door a better choice?

Sponsored Links
A steel door ready hung would be a better choice IMHO, or a composite door. A plastic door that has a centre stile and mid rail is also a very strong door.

Strike Team said:
As there have been a number of burglaries in my area, I want to have a new door and frame put in that are thoroughly solid. I'm thinking in terms of a hardwood frame, and a solid hardwood door. The frame will be deep-bolted into the brickwork.
IMHO a good solid door like teak or good quality hardwood is the best way to go
I plan to have 2 5-lever mortice locks 1/3 and 2/3 of the way up.
It's up to you but a good quality door latch at 1/3 is just as good, Screwfix doing a good deal on the Yale Insurance Night Latch Brass XBS1. The door frame & fittings is very important as well, also use door hinge bolts

images

Sponsored Links
Always check with your insurance company to see what they require. Also check the requirements for your windows and back door, as these are far more likely to be points of entry.

And when you have deadlocked all external doors on leaving, make sure that any spare keys are locked away in a good keysafe, preferably concealed and in an awkward corner or under the stairs where it is not only difficult to see, buyt also awkward to get at with tools. This will make it more difficult for your burglar to carry your belongings out through the open door.

If you are spending a bit of money, you can get all your locks suited to the same key. This means you only need to carry one key with you (plus the key to the keysafe) which is very convenient, and reduces the risks of keys being left about the house.

Personally, I prefer Lever locks or Detainers to cylinders. It is not a problem carrying them if you only need one key, not a great bunch.

noseall said:
do burglars go in through the front door these days? :eek:
Yeah - they now go around with meat cleavers and axes, and when those don't work they use TNT to blast the front door away...

they often go out through the front door, if you let them. Carrying your suitcases crammed with possessions.

JohnD said:
they often go out through the front door, if you let them. Carrying your suitcases crammed with possessions.

oh i see. in order to make them go out the way they came in, you need to make the front door burglar proof.

i get it now. ;)

look at www.securedbydesign.com for a list of doors that have been tested for burglary resistance. it's the official police recommended security scheme and they also list windows, locks, and various other products.

Thanks folks. Haven't replaced the door yet, been busy with other stuff. The SBD site is giving me some good ideas though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back