4 way lighting-3 times 2 gangway 1 time 1 single for 1 light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Trying to get a 4 way lighting system

Need to get my stairway lighting sorted along with the remaining singles on the 2 gang switches

Bit complicated...but here goes :!:

Looking to connect a 2 gang switch downstairs (using only one switch here for 4 way, other one is for another single light) to 2 gangway coridor 1 (again, using only one switch here for 4 way, other one is for single), to single switch on corridor 2. To finish on the 2 gang switch on corridor 3, again only using one for the 4 way, other one to be used for attic.

Any :idea: ....

a diagram/picture would be awesome

Sponsored Links
break the problem down.

firstly lets understand what is needed to switch a light from four positions.

this diagram shows 3 positions but you can insert more intermediates to extend it to any number of positions.

in other words you need two way switches at the position nearest the light on the cable and the position furthest from it and intermediates at the positions in between.

assuming the stairway light is at the top of the stairway stack then the top and bottom switches will need to be two way and those on "corridor 1" and "corrdidor 2" will need to be intermediates.

the top and bottom switches present no problems, as you should already know you can use a 2 way switch as 1 way so a 2 gang two way switch is fine here.

the switch on corridor 2 is also not a problem just use a single gang intermediate.

the switch on corridor 1 however is more of a problem, we want a normal switch and an intermediate on the same plate. Our only option here is to resort to a grid system, each manufacturers is different, MK's is probablly the most common.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331912&ts=91237&id=25191
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331912&ts=91237&id=92060
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331912&ts=91237&id=81450
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331912&ts=91237&id=84716

the frame screws onto the backbox, the modules fit into the frame and the plate screws on the top. Unfortunately it is a rather pricey

A small ammendment

in other words you need two way switches at the position nearest the light on the cable and the position furthest from it and intermediates at the positions in between

The live/switched live cable from the lamp can be connected at any of the switches in the chain as the live and switch live connect to the strappers. This may make allocation of switches a bit easier.

since there is no direct reference to it in the regs, what is the accepted way of wiring a 2 way?

I always put red to common, yellow to L1 and blue to L2
Or as it is now, Brown to common, black to L1 and Grey to L2...

and on a similar subject, what is the accepted way of wiring emergency lights? ( or fans for that matter? )

brown permanent live, black neutral and grey as switched live???

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is an official way of appointing the colours in 2 way lighting, the black and grey cores shoule be sleeved brown though.
In fans etc I opted to go for brown perm live, black (with brown sleeve) as switched live and grey (with blue sleeve) as neutral.

yeah but black WAS neutral, and blue IS neutral now but WAS neutral in flex so that's why I use/d black/blue as neutral..

Thanks for the informed reply....

Gonna start scoring out the walls ...

Then...

time to scour the web to buy that distinctly evasive cabling .... ;)

If i get stuck...i know i can count on you guys

------------------------------------
beam me up scotty.... :rolleyes:

plugwash said:
break the problem down.

firstly lets understand what is needed to switch a light from four positions.

this diagram shows 3 positions but you can insert more intermediates to extend it to any number of positions.

in other words you need two way switches at the position nearest the light on the cable and the position furthest from it and intermediates at the positions in between.

assuming the stairway light is at the top of the stairway stack then the top and bottom switches will need to be two way and those on "corridor 1" and "corrdidor 2" will need to be intermediates.

the top and bottom switches present no problems, as you should already know you can use a 2 way switch as 1 way so a 2 gang two way switch is fine here.

the switch on corridor 2 is also not a problem just use a single gang intermediate.

the switch on corridor 1 however is more of a problem, we want a normal switch and an intermediate on the same plate. Our only option here is to resort to a grid system, each manufacturers is different, MK's is probablly the most common.

what if i use a junction box after the first double gangway and single intermediate switch to connect the reamining two gangway switches , is this safe to do :?: , and will it work :confused:

doctor said:
what if i use a junction box after the first double gangway and single intermediate switch to connect the reamining two gangway switches , is this safe to do :?: , and will it work :confused:

Sorry, didn't understand that at all :confused: Can you draw a picture of what you want to do?

Let me clarify....

if i am to connect up 4 different switches to operate one light, would it be possible to connect up the 3core wiring upto each other using a 4 terminal junction to connect three switches and a single through the middle, with the light on the remaining junction connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back