Damp penetrating or rising.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I seem to be having a problem with dampness.

I live in a 1960 John Lawrence semi.

There is some dampness running up the length of the wall at the front door. This was not the original place for the front door. The house had a sort of lobby. The front door was moved out to make the front hall bigger (most of the housed here have done this). The part of the wall that is damp was the brick pillar (which was originally outside), This has been plastered on the inside and rendered on the outside, but the dampness is coming through.

I had a problem with the guttering, it was leaking heavly (well the corner peice was missing for about 6 month :oops: ). I have now fixed this but the rendering has blown. Will the blown rendering be holding moisture and make the drying out of the wall impossible (remember I live in Glasgow, we get a lot of rain in the winter :cry: ).

I also have dampness in the basement. I think this could be to do with a lack of ventilation but I an not sure. The dampness seems to affect the lower part of the walls and not all the walls are affected. I will be fitting an extractor fan, so hopefully this problem will be sorted out. I must also say that I have a radiator in the basement that heats up when we have the heating on.

Any ideas about what is making my hall and basement walls damp, hat can I do to fix them and how long does it usually take to dry out damp walls ?

This is the hall wall. you can see where the brick wall ends and the drywall starts. The glass you see to the right is the door frame.

DSC00002.jpg

These are the basement walls. these are pictures of the inside of an external wall. most of the dampness is on the external walls but not all. It is on other walls in the basement, but these are retaining walls with soil behind them.

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

Also on this wall we have brick stairs leading up to the back door, under these stairs is the water tape that has flooded a couple of times :oops: but not in a while.

thanks in advance for any help.

Gary.

Sponsored Links
Hi Gary

crapday said:
I have now fixed this [the guttering] but the rendering has blown. Will the blown rendering be holding moisture and make the drying out of the wall impossible (remember I live in Glasgow, we get a lot of rain in the winter :cry: ).
In a word, yes.

Take one lump hammer and one spade. Hit the render with the hammer at the most hollow sounding part, to make a hole. Insert the spade and lever off all render that isn't attached. You'll probably pull off more than you expect, but don't leave in place anything that's loose.

Then get a plasterer round and ask him to put it right.

Any ideas about what is making my hall and basement walls damp, hat can I do to fix them and how long does it usually take to dry out damp walls?
About as long as a piece of string.

If it were me I'd pay a knowledgable surveyor to look at the basement and advise me.

Do I have to wait for the wall to dry out before I get it rendered again or will I have to wait for the damp to go away ?

cheers gary

Sponsored Links
You should seek the advice of your plasterer, but I'd expect him/her to say that it doesn't much matter. You could give the wall a dose of fungicide in the meantime.

first is the extended hall wall soild . are you sure it is not single brick ?. if it is a solid wall and it has been plastered in browning before skimed then it will draw damp through a solid wall. you must remove it and replace with sand/cement render with a water proof aditve mixed in .also make sure that it is not plastered to the floor, there must be a gap. the damaged gutter is probly the main cause of the problem and will take time to dry out ..this will also will not of helped the damp in the basement
....the only way of drying a basement up ,is to have it tanked , witch is costly .

if it is a solid wall and it has been plastered in browning before skimed then it will draw damp through a solid wall. you must remove it and replace with sand/cement render with a water proof aditve mixed in ..

Groan, sand/cement :rolleyes: causes more damp problems than it solves. Will no one learn?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back